Chrysler MS-6395 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler MS-6395

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
bigjeep127
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Chrysler MS-6395

Okay, so I'm going to add to the discussion/confusion over engine oil. I just bought a 2003 TJ Sport and my 4.0 is ticking intermittently on startup and sometimes after that at idle. I've scrambled my circuits reading about lifters, ZDDP, ODPA's, Oil Filters and Oil. I only want to post this because I couldn't find anything through a search on this subject yet I found it very interesting. I was sifting through service bulletins for late model TJ 4.0 models and found 09-013-04 issued for the 2005 model year (and only that model year). When you read this paragraph from it you'll see that it applies to all model years...

"Only use API Certified engine oils that meet the requirements of Chrysler's Material Standard MS-6395. MS-6395 contains requirements, not addressed by API Certification, that provide additional protection for Chrysler Group engines. All Chrysler Group gasoline engines, irrespective of model year, should be serviced with API Certified engine oils meeting MS-6395. Chrysler Group Engines are developed, certified and filled with engine oil of the designated viscosity grade, meeting MS-6395, and should be serviced with the correct viscosity grade engine oil. The following table contains the correct viscosity grades for the 2005 model year."

That got me searching through oils. My current oil is Mobil 1 High Mileage which didn't do anything for my tick btw, at least not yet. Now I know they're probably not related but I noticed that Mobil 1 does not have the MS-6395 certification. I certainly understand that this could just mean that Mobil didn't get that particular oil certified, but, I did notice that Mobil Super is certified to MS-6395. Check out the Mobil website...

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...bil_Super.aspx

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub..._1_10W-30.aspx

From what I read on their website, Mobil Super is simply their conventional oil (yet they offer a synthetic version, which is confusing) and Mobil 1 is their "Advanced Synthetic".

Does anyone have experience with Mobil Super? Searching for Mobile and Super doesn't get me very far. Anyone have thoughts/knowledge pertaining to MS-6395?

bigjeep127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
bigjeep127
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I should add this link too. Someone wrote Chrysler asking for more info on MS-6395 and got a response... I'm too busy at work today to comb through the spec sheet and compare to other oils. I may do that later.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2629126&page=2
bigjeep127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running Mobile 1 HM in mine right now, too. It's a great oil. I wouldn't really worry about that Chrysler spec, the engines predate chrysler ownership anyway. Just find a good 10w-30 grade oil and change it per the manual.
ops5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

My Jeep ran nothing but Mobil 1, but then a last year I switched to Mobil Super and then last oil change I switched to Valvoline Max Life.

Always had a tick on warm up with Mobile 1, switched to Mobile Super and nothing changed. Haven't payed attention much since the Valvoline switch, but I think it's gotten better.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running the Valvoline VR-1 10W-30 racing oil (non-synthetic) and while my engine never ticked, it is somewhat quieter with the VR-1 in it. Remember that this engine was developed when oils had higher concentrations of anti-wear and extreme pressure additives (Zinc and Phosphorous, or ZDDP) to deal with the high load joint where the lifters contact the cam. The 4.0L was the last production engine with a flat-tappet cam, and most modern engines have much less internal friction due to roller lifters or roller finger followers, so the need for ZDDP is not as great on a modern engine.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.