chromolly shafts for dana 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > chromolly shafts for dana 35

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
bigtjzj62
1999 TJ Wrangler 

chromolly shafts for dana 35

I have a stock 27 spline carrier and want to upgrade to chromolly axles on the rear because i keep breaking everytime i hit the trail. the only company i have found that makes them is yukon. does anyone know of anyone else and where can i find them for cheap.
thanks

bigtjzj62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Alloy USA, Crown, AtoZFabrication are a couple others.

I've found the crown ones for 300, the ones on the atoz site are 350. Alloy USA is in the process of restructuring, however if you give them a call I'm sure they can direct you to a vendor or allow you to purchase them direct.

Superior also has their c-clip eliminator kit which uses 27 spline shafts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtjzj62 View Post
keep breaking everytime i hit the trail.

I suggest you learn how to drive first
Unread 04-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
cmc1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

from my looking and gathering i think the real only solution for keeping 27 splines is the superior c clip eliminator. with 33s should do well.
cmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
tooofast
1999 TJ Wrangler 

a buddy of mine just got a pair of new yukons for his d35 for about 200 shipped from ebay. you'll need to get new wheel studs and all you get are the shafts but that was a good deal i thought.

Dave
4" clayton long Arm, 5 inch rear stretch. CRAWLER tank. 35" KM2 muds, 1" MML from Brown Dog. Rear D44 Locked with a Detroit & trussed on Alloy Shafts, 4 point triangulation. Rear disc conversion. AtoZ Cage. Rubicon OR241 4:1. Front D30, Polly Performance Sleeve kit, locked with ARB, Alloy Shafts and HD steering linkages. Clayton belly up and oil pan skids, PSC Rocker Knockers, ORO air powerd Swayloc, Onbard Vita 450 and tank for fills and ARB compressor for the locker. Covered in dents.
tooofast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The only way I'd expect chromolly 27 spline axleshafts for the rear Dana 35c axle to be of any help at all would be if you also installed Superior Axle's c-clip eliminator kit. Without that, I wouldn't expect those shafts to live that much longer than the OE shafts do in reality.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Depends what you are doing with them surely?
For most mere mortals a d35 will do just fine with reasonable sized tyres. I am constantly amazed at the abuse I give mine and have yet to even come close to disaster. If as you say you do genuinely keep breaking them then an upgraded shaft will not help as you will break that too. You need to change your driving style or buy an axle that can handle it!!!
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you're breaking axles "every" time you go wheeling, you may want to skip the chromos, the c-clip eliminator and start thinking about a super 35 like mentioned prior. Could also set up an 8.8 or Isuzu 44 for probably under 1000 if you choose components wisely. Isuzu 44 will require wheel adapters though. I've only found one company that makes them.

Quote:
My Rusty Revival
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailsurf7713 View Post
If you're breaking axles "every" time you go wheeling, you may want to skip the chromos, the c-clip eliminator and start thinking about a super 35 like mentioned prior.
Exactly what do you know about the fairly new Superior Axle c-clip eliminator kit where you would dismiss it that easily?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
percent20
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have to agree with upgrading axels especially if you plan to eventually go bigger and do more stuff. I have seen a lot of threads where people put a lot of time into their 35's only to replace them later.
percent20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
AlTheKillerr

id up to the 30 spline chromos with the c-clip eliminator
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #12
bigtjzj62
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i dont hammer the thing into the ground that is why it is so shocking tht i break. there is a guy in the club that i go with that he is either stopped or wide open on a d35 with the same tires i have and he has broke one axle in 8 years of wheeling. i have broke two axles in roughly 5 or 6 trips. alot of people have said that the chromos will help out and wont break.
bigtjzj62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Exactly what do you know about the fairly new Superior Axle c-clip eliminator kit where you would dismiss it that easily?
Sorry Jerry. Wasn't putting the kit down at all. It seems to be excellently engineered and I've kept up with the info on it and I know there are plenty of guys running it with 33s and no breakage. I was actually looking into a lot and was gonna pull the trigger this summer, however for the money I feel there may be stronger (however ground clearance robbing). options out there. Plus with a crappy economy and shaky job market I'm staying on stocker tires for longer than anticipated.

I was under the impression that this guy was really hammering on his rig and none of us like trail fixes anymore than the next guy. Figured a tougher axle may suit his needs and wanted to throw some recommendations up from previous research I've done. However hearing now how he's wheeling the c-clip eliminator may be an excellent choice and he can install it himself.

Quote:
My Rusty Revival
Unread 04-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
Liftedsahara
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I'm running 35's on my STOCK dana 35, yeah yeah, I know. So far in 6 years of owning my Jeep, I've never had a problem. It's all driving style and the lines you choose. Plus my diff. is open. I go easy on it but still in some situations where I thought, damn I need to go easy on it or I'll snap a shaft or destroy my spiders, still it pulled trough(knock on wood). My jeep is daily driven and sees trails once every couple of months. So, I'd say do the C-clip kit from Superior. That's the route I will be taking soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.