chrokee 5speed in a 2003 tj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > chrokee 5speed in a 2003 tj?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
coombie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

chrokee 5speed in a 2003 tj?

so i got a free 5 speed tranny out of a 91 cherokee, brand new clutch, tranny hads 60,000km on it. but my question is.. will it fit? my tj is currently a automatic. blech.... i know the chrokee tranny is not the same as what should be in there, it has the internal slave cylinder. not a big deal i can have that tranny in and out in under 2 hours (ive been timed :P ) so if the slave ever goes its no big for me. is there anything i need to look out for? will my tcase bolt to the tranny or will i have to use the case that is on it? will my driveshaft work for this tranny or will i have to change the slip yolk on the rear drive shaft? i know the clutch pedle with slave "should in theroy" bolt up but i dont know about my break pedle. anyone done this before? HELP!

Unread 10-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think its the computer side of things thats going to give you head aches. The TJ's PCM is going to always be looking for input from the TCM. I know there are ways around this and I think it involves finding a PCM from another 2003 TJ only manual. I believe the Cherokee trans was a little longer than the 42rle. I hope someone else can give you more detailed info,
Brian
"That's awesome advice. Anytime I have a difficult repair, I fix something else that's much easier to get to. This one time, there was a hole in the oil pan so I replaced the side mirror on the driver's door."
Wanted: Tuffy rear underseat drawer. PM me if you have one.
2003RubiBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
coombie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

if its going to be more hedache than its worth im not going to do it, jeep runs and drives great i dont want to mess that up lol
Unread 10-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

also, there are some differences in splines between early model and late models, especially with how the tranny joins to the t-case. also, i believe the 91 manual tranny is internal slave, the newer TJ's used external slaves. i think there is enough differences you'd be better of sourcing a late model manual if you want to swap to a manual. also, as said, the 42RLE is heavily entrenched into the PCM, so you'll have some other compatibility challenges there. it's been done though....probably almost easier to buy a new Jeep though at that point.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
auto , jeep , manual , tj , tranny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.