chrokee 5speed in a 2003 tj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > chrokee 5speed in a 2003 tj?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
coombie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

chrokee 5speed in a 2003 tj?

so i got a free 5 speed tranny out of a 91 cherokee, brand new clutch, tranny hads 60,000km on it. but my question is.. will it fit? my tj is currently a automatic. blech.... i know the chrokee tranny is not the same as what should be in there, it has the internal slave cylinder. not a big deal i can have that tranny in and out in under 2 hours (ive been timed :P ) so if the slave ever goes its no big for me. is there anything i need to look out for? will my tcase bolt to the tranny or will i have to use the case that is on it? will my driveshaft work for this tranny or will i have to change the slip yolk on the rear drive shaft? i know the clutch pedle with slave "should in theroy" bolt up but i dont know about my break pedle. anyone done this before? HELP!

Unread 10-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think its the computer side of things thats going to give you head aches. The TJ's PCM is going to always be looking for input from the TCM. I know there are ways around this and I think it involves finding a PCM from another 2003 TJ only manual. I believe the Cherokee trans was a little longer than the 42rle. I hope someone else can give you more detailed info,
Brian
"That's awesome advice. Anytime I have a difficult repair, I fix something else that's much easier to get to. This one time, there was a hole in the oil pan so I replaced the side mirror on the driver's door."
Wanted: Tuffy rear underseat drawer. PM me if you have one.
2003RubiBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
coombie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

if its going to be more hedache than its worth im not going to do it, jeep runs and drives great i dont want to mess that up lol
Unread 10-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

also, there are some differences in splines between early model and late models, especially with how the tranny joins to the t-case. also, i believe the 91 manual tranny is internal slave, the newer TJ's used external slaves. i think there is enough differences you'd be better of sourcing a late model manual if you want to swap to a manual. also, as said, the 42RLE is heavily entrenched into the PCM, so you'll have some other compatibility challenges there. it's been done though....probably almost easier to buy a new Jeep though at that point.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.