Chirping bird sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chirping bird sound

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
BigBlue04
Never Too Old!!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Chirping bird sound

04 Rubicon with 3.5 RE lift. Jeep has started making a sound kind of like a scolding bird chirping when I'm driving. Sometimes might go 50 miles and never hear it, the next time just barely get going and here it a lot. Sometimes it is just a chirp, then a chirp chirp, then a short chirp, then a long string that you wonder if it will ever quit. At first I thought it was just me, but my wife has noticed and my son has heard it so I know it's there. Have 70k on odometer, have the front drive shaft off right now. Can feel just a little bit of play in front hubs when grabbing tires top and bottom and working back and forth. Just drained, cleaned, and refilled front diff with new oil, didn't notice hardly any metalic in oil, just black colored. Saw a post the other day, somebody mentioned angry sparrow sound, got me to thinkin somebody else may have had to deal with this also. Any ideas or input would be appreciated. Thanks.

BigBlue04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
cubbieblue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue04 View Post
04 Rubicon with 3.5 RE lift. Jeep has started making a sound kind of like a scolding bird chirping when I'm driving. Sometimes might go 50 miles and never hear it, the next time just barely get going and here it a lot. Sometimes it is just a chirp, then a chirp chirp, then a short chirp, then a long string that you wonder if it will ever quit. At first I thought it was just me, but my wife has noticed and my son has heard it so I know it's there. Have 70k on odometer, have the front drive shaft off right now. Can feel just a little bit of play in front hubs when grabbing tires top and bottom and working back and forth. Just drained, cleaned, and refilled front diff with new oil, didn't notice hardly any metalic in oil, just black colored. Saw a post the other day, somebody mentioned angry sparrow sound, got me to thinkin somebody else may have had to deal with this also. Any ideas or input would be appreciated. Thanks.
If you pulled the front DS and the noise persists try replacing and pulling the rear. The problem with this noise is that almost every single squeek a Jeep makes sounds like an angry bird! If you still can't find it start using penetrating oil until you nail it down.
cubbieblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Is it making the chirp since you removed the front driveshaft?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
BigBlue04
Never Too Old!!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Finally discovered my chirping bird sound! My e-brake cable on the passenger side comes unhooked from the actuator arm on the brake backing plate. Somehow this lets something get loose enough to just rub a little bit inside the disc/drum and make this scrape/chirp noise. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is why the dumb thing won't stay hooked up always. Nothing appears bent and the bracket holds the cable at the same angle on that side as on the other side. It's just every so often when I use the e-brake and release it, then it will start this sound again and I know it's unhooked. Hook it back up and sound disappears. Any thoughts?
BigBlue04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chirp , tj , wrangler , squirrel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.