Chevy 305 in my 2000 jeep tj? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chevy 305 in my 2000 jeep tj?

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Reply
Unread 11-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #76
DeGusipe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Markleysburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
Carb is definitely not the way to go. Plus you are going to have a fun time with all the gauges and such. I'd do the 318 or 360 like everyone is recommending if you want to keep it easy. I feel that if you have to ask about a carb though, you need a lot more experience before attempting an engine swap.

If you change your mind and decide to go with a 318, I know where there is a complete 318 Grand Cherokee in PA that the owner would let go at a very reasonable price.
What kind of price. Let me know asap please.

DeGusipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #77
jeepwrangler97
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 3,626
Imo, going from fi to carb'd is absolutely ridiculous; might as well put wagon wheels on it too. Why not just sell the tj & travel by horseback...

I don't get why so many people want to run a carb'd motor. It's not simple in the long run (or ever) & I don't see how it could be beneficial....or worth all the headaches of running ancient technology...

Sorry for the small rant...but down here I've seen guys throw a carb'd motor in a tj more than once & act like it's the greatest setup in the world.

I'd take a stock 2.5L w/fuel injection over a carb'd 350 in a TJ any day of the week

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #78
metaljeep
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: la porte, indiana
Posts: 71
I say put a 305 w/carb in it and have fun with your 115 hp motor and overloaded carb, that you have to keep your foot in it to stay running. Run three wires or a push button and toggle switch to run it, and put a boat gas tank in the back to make a quick fuel tank and go have fun. Oh wait this isn't Wecrash {demolition derby) In a jeep that already has fuel injection keep it. If you want a jeep with a carb go find a CJ.
metaljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #79
usmc1985
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: frankfort, IN
Posts: 27
350 small block but if you dont mind a little more cash go for a 383 stroker! Way more power in the low end
usmc1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #80
usmc1985
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: frankfort, IN
Posts: 27
I have the gm goodwrench 350 performance motor plentu of power but go fi mine is carburated not that great
usmc1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #81
DeGusipe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Markleysburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 47
I am sticking with a carb'd motor. I'm going with a chevy 305 motor with a Holley 470 Truck Avenger. I've talked to a lot of people and running this set up will work for a guy like me. I'm not a serious off road guy or serious power guy.
DeGusipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #82
DeGusipe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Markleysburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 47
Got a good bit of progress made today.
image.jpg

DeGusipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #83
DeGusipe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Markleysburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 47
Almost ready to put the new motor tranny and tcase in
image.jpg

DeGusipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #84
2k2wranglerx
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGusipe View Post
I am sticking with a carb'd motor. I'm going with a chevy 305 motor with a Holley 470 Truck Avenger. I've talked to a lot of people and running this set up will work for a guy like me. I'm not a serious off road guy or serious power guy.
there's a few mods that let a carb run well off camber. my buddy runs a hot 350 in his yj and he did something with a copper tube drilling holes in it? something like that.

if you search you'll find write-ups. i'd tell you more but I don't really pay attention to carbs. personally i'd never run one. But it's worth looking into. it made a really big difference on his.
__________________
93 yj. 355 chevy, heads, cam, intake, etc. 35's, bumpers, winch, lights, and a killer stereo.
2k2wranglerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #85
Andy5150
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Palm Harbor, Fl.
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
there's a few mods that let a carb run well off camber. my buddy runs a hot 350 in his yj and he did something with a copper tube drilling holes in it? something like that.

if you search you'll find write-ups. i'd tell you more but I don't really pay attention to carbs. personally i'd never run one. But it's worth looking into. it made a really big difference on his.
He,s probably connecting the primary and secondary vent tubes with the copper tube. On steep inclines, fuel won't puke out of the vents, and stall the engine. The Holley Truck Avenger comes like that. The 670 version I had on my CJ-7 worked pretty good. It supposedly has mods done to the metering block as well.
Andy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #86
DeGusipe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Markleysburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy5150 View Post
He,s probably connecting the primary and secondary vent tubes with the copper tube. On steep inclines, fuel won't puke out of the vents, and stall the engine. The Holley Truck Avenger comes like that. The 670 version I had on my CJ-7 worked pretty good. It supposedly has mods done to the metering block as well.
Was looking into the 670 but some people say it's too big. I think I'm going with the 470 or 600 from holley
DeGusipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #87
Andy5150
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Palm Harbor, Fl.
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGusipe View Post
Was looking into the 670 but some people say it's too big. I think I'm going with the 470 or 600 from holley
470 would be better for a 305. My 670 was on an AMC 360.
Andy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #88
DeGusipe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Markleysburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy5150 View Post
470 would be better for a 305. My 670 was on an AMC 360.
Okay thanks buddy!
DeGusipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #89
rda616
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Allegan, Michigan
Posts: 2,775
What mods are you planning to do to the 305. You realize it only made an average of about 150 hp over it's production run. Basically about what your 4 cylinder does.
rda616 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #90
AntiPrius
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
What mods are you planning to do to the 305. You realize it only made an average of about 150 hp over it's production run. Basically about what your 4 cylinder does.
I'm sure it makes more torque than the stock 4, but yeah, the 305 is a pretty weak motor. I had an ex-girlfriend that had one in a full size Chevy 4x4. That was one of the slowest vehicles I've ever driven. That thing had no power.

Only the later FI 305's made any power at all.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.