Chevy 305 in my 2000 jeep tj? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chevy 305 in my 2000 jeep tj?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #61
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGusipe View Post
Why not?
DEGUSIPE'S JEEP
User Has Not Filled Out Jeep Information.
Because you're young and have no idea what you're attempting to take on with your endeavor.

Your cant even fill-in your profile so other members on this forum can give you advice.

That's just the way I see it...

Unread 11-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #62
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The only downfall is that the 360 magnum motor is not a very powerful motor but the plus is that it's easy to wire in
It's more powerful by far than a POS carbureted 305.

A friend has a 2000 Dodge Ram extra cab 4x4 with a 5.2L, and while it's no rocket, it moves that truck fairly well, and that truck probably weighs a good 1500-2000 more pounds than a Wrangler...and again he has the 5.2L not a 5.9. Either would move a Wrangler with ease. And like mentioned before, torque is king here, not horse power unless you're concerned with maximum top speed only.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #63
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

OP.... what you need yo do is STOP. Start your project by reading up on other peoples build threads and make an attempt to fully understand what is involved in a motor conversion. What you are doing right now is diving in without any final decision on what exactly it is that you want. This usually results in a project that never gets done or if it is eventually done, its a mess that won't come close to running and functioning correctly.
So stop and ask yourself some important questions...
1. Do you have the mechanical skills, tools, time and funds to do this?

2. Make a final decision on what motor you want.

3. Have you started your research and am completely familiar with what needs to be done.

4. Are you SURE that the axles etc., are up to the extra power..(if you still have a Dana 35, then the answer is "No"...)

Answer these to start with and you'll get better input on the forums..actually ..most of the replies have been spot on.....
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #64
EGLESCT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do it once and do it right has always been my proponent. It seems to me that you have very little skill with modern vehicles(1980's - Current) and am stuck in a mindset that's 30+ years old. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but doing a swap on a more "current" vehicle is a lot more detailed than you think.

Like others have said, STOP and do your research, LOTS of it. We all started out knowing absolutely nothing at some point in time, and over the years we've all learned various things and life, automobiles, and jeeps. If you think it's as simple as removing the old engine and putting in a different one(regardless of motor) with a few adapter plates, than you're going to have a VERY difficult time with this project and getting it out on the street/trail.

A motor swap can consist of an investment of thousands of dollars to be done once and done right. Your best bet may very well be selling your TJ and either getting one with a 4.0, or getting a CJ/YJ if you are that convinced fuel injection is something you don't want to deal with.

Black Magic Brake Upgrade
160 Amp Durango Alternator Upgrade
EGLESCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #65
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The 5.3 4l60e combination is great in a tj. The thing you should realize is it will need a return fuel line run, a fuel pressure regulator bypass. Which is about $200. from novak. An expensive engine to transmission adapter. The pcm will need flashed to remove vats. Thats about $200-250. plus the gm pcm won't run the jeep gages, so you either need to run both the gm pcm and the jeep pcm piggybacked, or buy all new electronic gages.

Don't get me wrong, I like the gm ls motors a lot, but the cost and time to swap one in to a jeep is far more than doing a magnum v8 swap.

Take it from someone who has built many carbureted v8's ranging from stock 350's to a 628 hp 472 bbf. I would never go back to a carburetor.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #66
DeGusipe

I don't have the knowledge or money to do a fuel injected swap. I'm going with a carb 350 and buying a new carburetor for it. If I get bad gas mileage and have to fool with a carb in the winter, on steep hills and all that then so be it. I'll tune the carb well and deal with the rest. Thanks everyone for the input.
DeGusipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #67
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't have the knowledge or money to do a fuel injected swap. I'm going with a carb 350 and buying a new carburetor for it. If I get bad gas mileage and have to fool with a carb in the winter, on steep hills and all that then so be it. I'll tune the carb well and deal with the rest. Thanks everyone for the input.
Post back when you're done...we'll be watching for a re-cap of this one...
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #68
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Going with a magnum 318 or 360. I can splice the harness in and all my gauges should work. I also know I need to find the bellhousing from a late 90's dodge Dakota to make my Ax15 adapt to the motor
The bellhousing is not separate on the Dakota trans, it is a NV3500 which used an integrated trans/bellhousing. However the trans would replace your trans if it is 4wd.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #69
DeGusipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduncan View Post
Post back when you're done...we'll be watching for a re-cap of this one...
Will do
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #70
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Carb is definitely not the way to go. Plus you are going to have a fun time with all the gauges and such. I'd do the 318 or 360 like everyone is recommending if you want to keep it easy. I feel that if you have to ask about a carb though, you need a lot more experience before attempting an engine swap.

If you change your mind and decide to go with a 318, I know where there is a complete 318 Grand Cherokee in PA that the owner would let go at a very reasonable price.
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #71
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982cj8 View Post

The bellhousing is not separate on the Dakota trans, it is a NV3500 which used an integrated trans/bellhousing. However the trans would replace your trans if it is 4wd.
Except for the ones that came with the ax15 which everyone uses for the magnum v8 swap.
Unread 11-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #72
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You will spend more time and money on the carbureted motor with a lesser result in the end. What was the point of this thread if you already knew you were going this route anyway. You got good advice in this thread from lots of people. It's a shame you aren't taking it.
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #73
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
You will spend more time and money on the carbureted motor with a lesser result in the end. What was the point of this thread if you already knew you were going this route anyway. You got good advice in this thread from lots of people. It's a shame you aren't taking it.

That happens a lot on forums. People ask about something, really just looking for responses of "That's an excellent idea" and when they get the opposite, they ultimately continue to do what they originally were going to do. Then typically, you'll see them again later down the road complaining about what they did, and ask again how to do it right. Or they never finish it at all, and they sell the whole mess for a big loss.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #74
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

give this company a call, or drive over to see him, you may get some enlightenment. Ron Francis wiring Chester Pa. 610- 485- 1981. Worked for me, almost a plug and play.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #75
DeGusipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM626 View Post
give this company a call, or drive over to see him, you may get some enlightenment. Ron Francis wiring Chester Pa. 610- 485- 1981. Worked for me, almost a plug and play.
I will give him a call tomorrow and get some information from him. Thank you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.