Chevy 305 in my 2000 jeep tj? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chevy 305 in my 2000 jeep tj?

ECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #31
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGusipe View Post

I don't mean to start an argument here and dont want to do that at all, but you said that company will build a harness for me, but it's also $750. I'm not completely sure what i'm doing yet. Im just asking for opinions and advice here. Thanks everyone for the opinions!!!
No arguments here. I'm just trying to point out you will be in that harness either way. Have you taken in to account the gages all run off the pcm, or your fuel system runs at 49 psi with on return line due to the pressure regulator on top of the pump.

rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #32
DeGusipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
No arguments here. I'm just trying to point out you will be in that harness either way. Have you taken in to account the gages all run off the pcm, or your fuel system runs at 49 psi with on return line due to the pressure regulator on top of the pump.
Yes I understand, but there are a few different routes to be taken with gauges. Either one will work though. I'll just have to decide when I pull the motor this weekend.
DeGusipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #33
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The very last (!) thing I'd ever do is replace a fuel injected engine with a carbureted engine. I wouldn't even consider it... no way, no how. Especially for a Jeep that will be taken offroad on trails with any steepness to them where carb'd engines love to die & struggle.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #34
DeGusipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The very last (!) thing I'd ever do is replace a fuel injected engine with a carbureted engine. I wouldn't even consider it... no way, no how. Especially for a Jeep that will be taken offroad on trails with any steepness to them where carb'd engines love to die & struggle.
Currently I have a 4 cylinder in my jeep. I think anything is better than a 4 cylinder on 33's.
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #35
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Currently I have a 4 cylinder in my jeep. I think anything is better than a 4 cylinder on 33's.
in a TJ, i'd take a 4-cyl EFI motor over a V8 carb motor any day.

But like I said before, I vote you put a carb in there so you get to appreciate the epiphany of stupid decisions.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #36
Andy5150
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Some carbs are worse than others. While I agree that overall, you can't beat fuel injection, my experience with a Holley Truck Avenger was very positive. My CJ was on some very steep angles, both lateral, and climbing, and it performed flawlessly. I understand that fuel injection would do better, but this particular carb was not the end of the world. A TPI set up is more expensive, and at the end of the day is an electric carburetor without the angle/climbing issues. A Holley Terminator is cubic dollars, but is self-learning, and pretty slick. Direct port injection set ups are also expensive. Back to the original post, for light trail work, or maybe more, IMHO, a Truck Avenger would get the job done.
Andy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #37
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have you driven a carbureted vehicle on trails that are off camber and have steep climbs/descents?...
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #38
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
in a TJ, i'd take a 4-cyl EFI motor over a V8 carb motor any day.
Me too, especially the Chevy 305, but I'd take the factory EFI 4 banger over even a 454 with a carb.

FI is better in every single category possible. More reliable, works in any weather or elevation, never stalls, never floods on any angle, even upside down, no sticking floats or dicking with a choke, or having to wait for it to "warm up" before it runs right. Fuel mileage is better to boot.

Ditching a FI motor, regardless of what it is for a carb'ed motor, would be like ditching high speed internet for dial up, or a 65" high def TV for a 19" with rabbit ears.

The stock Motorcraft carb on my old Grand Wagoneer ran pretty well at angles, but it was no comparison to my Wranglers 4.0. Throttle response was no where as good either.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #39
DeGusipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Have you driven a carbureted vehicle on trails that are off camber and have steep climbs/descents?...
If you mean almost vertical hills and such then no I have not
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #40
DeGusipe

Okay someone explain to me, If I buy a FI V8 engine for my TJ with the computer and wiring harness from that donor vehicle, what exactly do I have to do to make it work in my TJ?
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #41
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
In a nutshell, we're saying "Don't do it", but it's your ultimate choice. It's a lot of work for a big down grade though.
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #42
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay someone explain to me, If I buy a FI V8 engine for my TJ with the computer and wiring harness from that donor vehicle, what exactly do I have to do to make it work in my TJ?
The 5.2L Dodge Magnum motor swap seems to be "fairly" straight forward, and there are some write ups here on exactly what needs to be done. No motor swap is easy, but some are easier, and much better than others.
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #43
DeGusipe

Well now i'm leaning toward a FI 350. I need someone to explain thoroughly to me on how switching the computer and wiring works and how I go about it.
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #44
DeGusipe

or actually any small V8 motor at this point
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #45
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
With a carbureted vehicle you don't have to come even close to being vertical to have problems with the float bowl on a carburetor.

Most carbureted vehicles that I've been on the trail with would have problems at this angle:

Quote:
Now is the time for you to search and search a lot. Read everything that you can get your hands on, I would recommend 3-6 months of searching before you make a decision... IMO

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.