Chevy 305 in my 2000 jeep tj? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chevy 305 in my 2000 jeep tj?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGusipe View Post
The not reason I'm voting for carb is because of the wiring that has to be done with a fuel injected motor. Does anyone have any info or a guide for wiring in the computer? If I can get a good guide and understanding of how to go about it I may change my mind. Has anyone done it that could give me information or tips?
You need factory service manuals for both vehicles.

Then you need time to read and become familiar with the wiring diagrams. Know what the abbreviations mean, what the symbols mean, how to quickly find the info you need, etc.

Or you can buy a pre-made wiring harness for most of the popular motor swaps.

If you want a Chevy powerplant, you should consider the 5.3.

Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #17
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If swaping in a modern fuel injected engine is to complicated, why not just toss in your carb motor and add a stand alone system, such as a holley projection. A system like that is fairly easy to install.
willis36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The magnum v8 swap is the cheapest and easiest swap you can do. You get to keep the efi and the factory gages will work with out piggybacking the pcm.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I also agree that going from FI to a carb is a HUGE down grade, and the Chevy 305 is one of Chevy's worst V8's. I'd much rather have the Jeep 4.0 than a 305/carb setup. I'd only consider a 5.3 or 5.7 FI setup-, if I was considering a Chevy swap.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay thank you very much. I don't rip on my jeep or abuse it. I do light off-roading and
Trail riding and a good bit of highway. The way I drive the tranny and tcase will most certainly work.
Anyone got suggestions on a 350 motor year? Emissions are not a problem where I live. If I knew how to wire the computer and harness into my jeep I'd go with a fuel injected motor but unfortunately I don't and will more than likely be going with a carb.
Look at the 290 HP Goodwrench crate engine offered by jegs or summit. They are cheap and well reviewed by the daily driver muscle car community.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #21
DeGusipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
The magnum v8 swap is the cheapest and easiest swap you can do. You get to keep the efi and the factory gages will work with out piggybacking the pcm.
Do I still need the computer and wiring harness out of that donor vehicle with the engine?
DeGusipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #22
DeGusipe

Im gonna stick with a carb, might be a bad idea to many of you, but all of that wiring is nonsense to me lol. A guy I know has a 1991 YJ with a ford 302 in it and it runs well. Probably going to go with a 350.
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Do I still need the computer and wiring harness out of that donor vehicle with the engine?
Yes, but the dodge pcm will work with the jeep gages. The wiring is no harder than wiring in new gages or piggybacking to any other engine. You also don't need to alter the fuel delivery system with the magnum v8. The only non factory part you will need to use are the radiator and engine mounts. You will need a bellhousing from a Dakota with a 5 speed . And the advance adapters brackets are the better choice in my opinion.
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #24
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Im gonna stick with a carb, might be a bad idea to many of you, but all of that wiring is nonsense to me lol. A guy I know has a 1991 YJ with a ford 302 in it and it runs well. Probably going to go with a 350.
A local guy though the same thing about a carbureted 350. He started his swap before me and my rig has been running for 2 years. I still haven't seen his out on the road yet.

These guys will build you a harness for $750. It's plug and play. http://backwoodsoffroad.com/cgi-bin/...play.cgi?cat=4
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #25
DeGusipe

Quote:
Yes, but the dodge pcm will work with the jeep gages. The wiring is no harder than wiring in new gages or piggybacking to any other engine. You also don't need to alter the fuel delivery system with the magnum v8. The only non factory part you will need to use are the radiator and engine mounts. You will need a bellhousing from a Dakota with a 5 speed . And the advance adapters brackets are the better choice in my opinion.
After I saw this picture of a guy swapping a magnum v8 into his tj, it frightened me just a little bit lol
100_4870.jpg

Unread 11-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #26
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

After I saw this picture of a guy swapping a magnum v8 into his tj, it frightened me just a little bit lol
Why, because he took the loom iff the wiring.what do you think you will need to do to get that 350 running and gages working!
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #27
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The guy looks a little scary, but what's scary about the harness? Yes, there are a lot of wires under the hood in a car. Harness in the picture actually looks pretty complete and together with plugs and everything. If you get the right one you follow the diagrams and plug it in. If you had a photo of somebody building their own or doing some splicing that might look a little more intimidating.
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #28
Andy5150
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do it.....If your experience with a carb is that bad, go to injection.My 82 CJ-7 had an AMC 360 with a Holley 670 Truck Avenger on it and ran great. Would it have gotten better than 12 mpg with injection? Maybe.....But I bolted it on, made 1 jet change , and never touched it again for remaining 2 1/2 yrs/ 26,000 miles I owned it. I think some of the bad experiences with carbs go back to the 70,s to mid 80,s when they were awful. They were jetted to lean, and had a lot of crap on them to pass emissions. Anyway, good luck, and keep us posted.
Andy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #29
DeGusipe

Progress so far... About 3 days into it so far.
photo-1-1-.jpg

photo-2-1-.jpg

photo-3-1-.jpg

Unread 11-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #30
DeGusipe

Quote:
Why, because he took the loom iff the wiring.what do you think you will need to do to get that 350 running and gages working!
I don't mean to start an argument here and dont want to do that at all, but you said that company will build a harness for me, but it's also $750. I'm not completely sure what i'm doing yet. Im just asking for opinions and advice here. Thanks everyone for the opinions!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.