Chevy 305 in my 2000 jeep tj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chevy 305 in my 2000 jeep tj?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
DeGusipe

Chevy 305 in my 2000 jeep tj?

I have a 2000 jeep tj with an ax-15 transmission, np231 23 spline transfer case and upgraded driveshafts. I want to buy a smaller v8 and put into my wrangler. I not sure whether to go carb or fuel injected. I am thinking about going carb to drop the hassle of wiring. I am purchasing the adapter kit for the engine to tranission from Novak. I know I need different fan shrouds, radiator, different lines, links, exhaust and all that, but I'm wondering your opinion on carb or fuel injected and what motor to go with the ax-15 tranny. I'm not interested In buying a different transfer case or tranny because I do very light off-roading. Just wanted to get your ideas and what you have done. Thank you!

DeGusipe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
EGLESCT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have vehicle inspections in PA? This would be make or break for a carb'ed motor in many states due to the emissions requirement. I know some states require the same year if not a newer motor when doing a swap to ensure these regulations are met. Also why a 305 and not a 350? They are roughly the same size and 350's have much more of an aftermarket.

Black Magic Brake Upgrade
160 Amp Durango Alternator Upgrade
EGLESCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
DeGusipe

I have a place I get inspected in pa and all I do
Is flash the lights and blow the horn and I'm good lol. I probably will go with a 350. Not too sure why I said 305.
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

imo, in the long run you'd be better off with a fuel injected engine.
It may be more work up front but you'll have better reliability, performance and fuel efficiency down the line.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Andy5150
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Carb or fuel injection: Fuel injection would be more efficient, not affected by steep climbs. At the same time, the holley 670 truck avenger on my AMC 360 powered cj7 worked pretty good. I grew up with carbs, so I,m very familiar with them. I don't know how emissions laws are where you live, so that may be a deciding factor. Its hard to beat injection for clean running. As for engines, theres nothing wrong with a Chevy 305. Its kind of a stroker motor compared to engines of similar displacement because its basically a 350 with a smaller bore. I don't think there are any other v-8,s of that size with a 3.48" stroke. I had an 83 chevy pick up with a 305, and it moved pretty good, but, If it was me, for all the work involved in a swap, I'd go with a 350. More power, same weight as the 305, and driven sanely , the tranny and t-case should be fine.
Andy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
DeGusipe

Okay thank you very much. I don't rip on my jeep or abuse it. I do light off-roading and
Trail riding and a good bit of highway. The way I drive the tranny and tcase will most certainly work.
Anyone got suggestions on a 350 motor year? Emissions are not a problem where I live. If I knew how to wire the computer and harness into my jeep I'd go with a fuel injected motor but unfortunately I don't and will more than likely be going with a carb.
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
DeGusipe

Also anyone have any suggestions on taking out the old engine and tips on how to take it out? I'm taking out the old motor and tranny as well. Should I pull it out as one, drop the tranny first and pull the engine out or what?
Unread 11-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

When doing a motor swap, start with pulling the front clip.

Then pull the motor, trans, and t-case all as 1 assembly.

Don't forget to drain fluids first.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry I have no input on your motor swap, but

'00 TJs came with a NV3550 (6cyl) or a AX5 (4 cyl) manual tranny, unless its been changed.
Unread 11-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGusipe View Post
I not sure whether to go carb or fuel injected.
I vote for a carb. That way you'll get to experience the epiphany of realizing what a big mistake you made wasting a lot of time & money on a substantial downgrade.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
DeGusipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I vote for a carb. That way when you'll get to experience the epiphany of realizing what a big mistake you made wasting a lot of time & money on a substantial downgrade.
Lol, thanks. Makes me feel real good about a carb.
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
DeGusipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Sorry I have no input on your motor swap, but

'00 TJs came with a NV3550 (6cyl) or a AX5 (4 cyl) manual tranny, unless its been changed.
Yeah I had an ax-5 stock but swapped it to an ax-15
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I grew up working on carbureted engines and cleaning/adjusting/overhauling carburetors believe me, those weren't the good old days. As the others said, make sure you go with fuel injection. Carbs are the work of the devil... unless you have dual four-barrel carbs on your hotrod.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
DeGusipe

The not reason I'm voting for carb is because of the wiring that has to be done with a fuel injected motor. Does anyone have any info or a guide for wiring in the computer? If I can get a good guide and understanding of how to go about it I may change my mind. Has anyone done it that could give me information or tips?
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
DeGusipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
When doing a motor swap, start with pulling the front clip.

Then pull the motor, trans, and t-case all as 1 assembly.

Don't forget to drain fluids first.
Thank you!!

Tags
help needed , jeep build , v8 , wrangler , wrangler tj v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.