Chev V8 Swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chev V8 Swap?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 03-11-2007, 05:06 AM   #1
Wallace
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Chev V8 Swap?

Hi All,

My old man just bought himself a CJ8 with a Chev 350 in it! Now... let me start off by saying, the beat of the V8 has gotten to me quicker than i thought it would.

I am considering doing a 350 swap into my TJ. I currently have the 4.0L I6 in my TJ. My TJ is a 2000 model, D30 front and D44 rear. I have a Heavy Duty SYE in the rear and 2.5" OME lift with 1" BL.

Since it is a 2000 model, i believe it has the AX-15 gearbox and the NP231 transfer case.

My question is this - is a V8 swap into my TJ worth the cash and the effort? Or should i just look at perhaps modifying the I6 a little more (it has a 2.5" straight the exhaust system)?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

TnT Customs Dual Triangulated Long Arm Lift, NV4500
35" M/T Baja Claws, TBT Rear Bar with Tyre Carrier
ARB Front Bar - Dual Hella 4000 Spotlights.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
Shane64
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I hate to ask another question to your but how do you like the exhaust system, and dose it give allot of power?
Shane64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
Wallace
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My exhaust system does sound nice - gives the jeep a nice beat. I would say it gives more power - but i could be giving a biased opinion. I havent had it on a dyno or anythign like that.

Thanks,
Will
TnT Customs Dual Triangulated Long Arm Lift, NV4500
35" M/T Baja Claws, TBT Rear Bar with Tyre Carrier
ARB Front Bar - Dual Hella 4000 Spotlights.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

It's cheaper and easier to just stroke your 4.0L into a 4.6L.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 11:46 PM   #5
TXjeepTJ

modify the 4.0L will be ALOT more cheaper, but i mean - youd basicly just be average still. im swapping an ls1 into my wrangler and i dont care how much money i put into it (closing up on about 5,000 now) i am going to have a huge smile on my face everytime i drive it/think about it/see it

that is how obsessd i am with a v8- if you dont feel this way, id just stick to modifying the 4.0
TXjeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 11:57 PM   #6
jeepcrzyspd

i have an ltz v-8 in my tj i bought it this way the trans wont hold up but you can buy the tranfer case mods and trans mods kits from ( http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/th700r4.htm ) try giving them a call other wise use all chevy drive train i have to get another trans and case then have drive shafts made was told $2,000 to do it with the mods and ax-15 case might be cheaper using the chevy case and trans just fab mounting of the trans and t-case and skid plate then get drive shafts made
jeepcrzyspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #7
TXjeepTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcrzyspd
i have an ltz v-8 in my tj i bought it this way the trans wont hold up but you can buy the tranfer case mods and trans mods kits from ( http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/th700r4.htm ) try giving them a call other wise use all chevy drive train i have to get another trans and case then have drive shafts made was told $2,000 to do it with the mods and ax-15 case might be cheaper using the chevy case and trans just fab mounting of the trans and t-case and skid plate then get drive shafts made

lt1? couldnt really understand what you were sayin about the ''was told $2,000 to do it with the mods and ax-15 case might be cheaper using the chevy case'' ??

what set up did you have before everything broke? what trans
TXjeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeeptj
i am going to have a huge smile on my face everytime i drive it/think about it/see it

that is how obsessd i am with a v8- if you dont feel this way, id just stick to modifying the 4.0

I'd have to agree with you on this one...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 02:18 AM   #9
mikey_vegas

im actually in the prosses of doing a Chevy 350 swap

im custom fabing a long arm lift for it

triangulated 3 link in the rear 4 link in the front, using 3/4 heim joints and 4130 chrome-moly tubing for the arms, should be stout.

using a built 400hp small block, turbo 350 trans and transfer case out of a k-5 blazer and custom drive shafts

total the swap its self will cost somewhere around 2 grand

then another 2 grand for 35's and all the things i need for the suspension and putting the Aussie locked 8.8 in the rear

ill start a thread when i start dropping things in, for now its all disassembly

400hp and 430 foot lbs in a TJ

and you want to talk about a flat tq curve ahahah

would would never be able to squeeze that kind of power out of a stroked 4.0 with out forced induction or running on race gas both of witch would be less reliable and more expensive then a solidly built Chevy motor

the sound is amazing and its alway nice to smoke that 350z sitting next to you haha
mikey_vegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.