Chev V8 Swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chev V8 Swap?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-11-2007, 06:06 AM   #1
Wallace
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Chev V8 Swap?

Hi All,

My old man just bought himself a CJ8 with a Chev 350 in it! Now... let me start off by saying, the beat of the V8 has gotten to me quicker than i thought it would.

I am considering doing a 350 swap into my TJ. I currently have the 4.0L I6 in my TJ. My TJ is a 2000 model, D30 front and D44 rear. I have a Heavy Duty SYE in the rear and 2.5" OME lift with 1" BL.

Since it is a 2000 model, i believe it has the AX-15 gearbox and the NP231 transfer case.

My question is this - is a V8 swap into my TJ worth the cash and the effort? Or should i just look at perhaps modifying the I6 a little more (it has a 2.5" straight the exhaust system)?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

TnT Customs Dual Triangulated Long Arm Lift, NV4500
35" M/T Baja Claws, TBT Rear Bar with Tyre Carrier
ARB Front Bar - Dual Hella 4000 Spotlights.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
Shane64
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I hate to ask another question to your but how do you like the exhaust system, and dose it give allot of power?
Shane64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
Wallace
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My exhaust system does sound nice - gives the jeep a nice beat. I would say it gives more power - but i could be giving a biased opinion. I havent had it on a dyno or anythign like that.

Thanks,
Will
TnT Customs Dual Triangulated Long Arm Lift, NV4500
35" M/T Baja Claws, TBT Rear Bar with Tyre Carrier
ARB Front Bar - Dual Hella 4000 Spotlights.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2007, 11:55 PM   #4
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

It's cheaper and easier to just stroke your 4.0L into a 4.6L.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 12:46 AM   #5
TXjeepTJ

modify the 4.0L will be ALOT more cheaper, but i mean - youd basicly just be average still. im swapping an ls1 into my wrangler and i dont care how much money i put into it (closing up on about 5,000 now) i am going to have a huge smile on my face everytime i drive it/think about it/see it

that is how obsessd i am with a v8- if you dont feel this way, id just stick to modifying the 4.0
TXjeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 12:57 AM   #6
jeepcrzyspd

i have an ltz v-8 in my tj i bought it this way the trans wont hold up but you can buy the tranfer case mods and trans mods kits from ( http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/th700r4.htm ) try giving them a call other wise use all chevy drive train i have to get another trans and case then have drive shafts made was told $2,000 to do it with the mods and ax-15 case might be cheaper using the chevy case and trans just fab mounting of the trans and t-case and skid plate then get drive shafts made
jeepcrzyspd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #7
TXjeepTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcrzyspd
i have an ltz v-8 in my tj i bought it this way the trans wont hold up but you can buy the tranfer case mods and trans mods kits from ( http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/th700r4.htm ) try giving them a call other wise use all chevy drive train i have to get another trans and case then have drive shafts made was told $2,000 to do it with the mods and ax-15 case might be cheaper using the chevy case and trans just fab mounting of the trans and t-case and skid plate then get drive shafts made

lt1? couldnt really understand what you were sayin about the ''was told $2,000 to do it with the mods and ax-15 case might be cheaper using the chevy case'' ??

what set up did you have before everything broke? what trans
TXjeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 01:13 AM   #8
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeeptj
i am going to have a huge smile on my face everytime i drive it/think about it/see it

that is how obsessd i am with a v8- if you dont feel this way, id just stick to modifying the 4.0

I'd have to agree with you on this one...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
mikey_vegas

im actually in the prosses of doing a Chevy 350 swap

im custom fabing a long arm lift for it

triangulated 3 link in the rear 4 link in the front, using 3/4 heim joints and 4130 chrome-moly tubing for the arms, should be stout.

using a built 400hp small block, turbo 350 trans and transfer case out of a k-5 blazer and custom drive shafts

total the swap its self will cost somewhere around 2 grand

then another 2 grand for 35's and all the things i need for the suspension and putting the Aussie locked 8.8 in the rear

ill start a thread when i start dropping things in, for now its all disassembly

400hp and 430 foot lbs in a TJ

and you want to talk about a flat tq curve ahahah

would would never be able to squeeze that kind of power out of a stroked 4.0 with out forced induction or running on race gas both of witch would be less reliable and more expensive then a solidly built Chevy motor

the sound is amazing and its alway nice to smoke that 350z sitting next to you haha
mikey_vegas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.