Check Engine Light reset - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Check Engine Light reset

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-16-2003, 08:45 AM   #1
skatedork

Check Engine Light reset

I have a 99 wrangler sport, Anyone know where the check engine light reset is on this? Thanks

Unread 06-16-2003, 08:47 AM   #2
Owen

Did you get any codes?

To reset you simply disco the battery for about 10 mins...
Unread 06-16-2003, 08:47 AM   #3
Owen

Oh and what up Jersey
Unread 06-16-2003, 08:49 AM   #4
skatedork

Ahh a fellow dirty jersian Ever ride your jeep at the Pine Barrens?
Unread 06-16-2003, 08:51 AM   #5
Owen

Quote:
Originally posted by skatedork
Yes I do...Paragon more though. More into rocks than mud...

Where do you live?
Unread 06-16-2003, 09:03 AM   #6
skatedork

I live in Morris County on Lake Hopatcong. I heard of that place before. I haven't been off roading with my jeep before, I am just starting to upgrade it from its stock form.
Unread 06-16-2003, 09:14 AM   #7
Dee Cue
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey, I dated a Jersian before, she wasn't dirty at all... However her driving manners/road rage scared the hell out of me.
Unread 06-16-2003, 09:27 AM   #8
Owen

Quote:
I live in Morris County on Lake Hopatcong. I heard of that place before. I haven't been off roading with my jeep before, I am just starting to upgrade it from its stock form.
I work in livingston real close to you...We are having a big run and party at paragon on the 18th-20th of July...There will be other Stock jeeps running too...PM me for details or check out the thread int eh wheelin neighborhood forum...
Unread 06-16-2003, 10:33 AM   #9
JeepEnthusiast

To reset it, disconnect the negative battery terminal and turn on the headlights for 10 minutes. Then turn them off and reconnect it. Should be back to normal.
JeepEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 10:35 AM   #10
skatedork

Where is Paragon exactly? Isn't it in PA?
Unread 06-18-2003, 06:09 PM   #11
quadna71
2001 XJ Cherokee 

jeep enthusiast,
why the headlights? i've heard of the battery disconnect before...just never the headlights too.
chris

2003 TJ Sport - sold, 2000 TJ Sport - sold
1993 XJ Sport - totaled, 1987 XJ Laredo - sold
1987 XJ Chief - sold, 1953 CJ-3B - sold
quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 06:32 PM   #12
wingzero1285

I'm guessing turning on the headlights uses all the electricity still between the lights and the battery... Oh and I live in Jeresy too, monmouth county. No really good places around here except for a few spots on the beach in Asbury Park.

-Red Jeep Club #45- -97 Jeep Club #10-

Pioneer 6800
Infinity Reference 311 Mono Sub Amp
MTX TA3404 4 Channel Amp
Infinity Reference 4x6 in the dash
Infinity Reference 6.5 in the soundbar
Infinity Kapa 10inch subwoofer

Magnaflow Cat
Flowemaster 40

Rear window duck tape special (extra 25 HP)
wingzero1285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 06:41 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, turning the headlights on would drain any remaining charge out of any capacitors inside the computer, but it's really unnecessary to go to that trouble, nor for that length of time. Disco'ing the battery's negative lead for 2 minutes is more than enough time to completely reset the computer.

You could also, if you're really anal about getting rid of all the potentially stored conditions inside the computer, momentarily touch the disconnected negative battery lead to the positive battery post lead. Though this will not produce sparks as some may think, it will totally reset any remaining logic conditions in the computer... but is still totally unnecessary. Disco'ing the negative battery lead for 2 minutes is plenty.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 07:04 PM   #14
JeepEnthusiast

I usually just let it sit for 10 minutes just to be certain. It will drain the remaining charge. I guess it will work for 2 minutes as well but I dont really time it. 5-10 minutes would make me 100% sure its all gone. The check engine light might appear later if the jeep is having trouble. Go to autozone and have them run a check for you. It will show you the codes.
JeepEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 08:57 PM   #15
AirborneSilva

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Well, turning the headlights on would drain any remaining charge out of any capacitors inside the computer, but it's really unnecessary to go to that trouble, nor for that length of time. Disco'ing the battery's negative lead for 2 minutes is more than enough time to completely reset the computer.

You could also, if you're really anal about getting rid of all the potentially stored conditions inside the computer, momentarily touch the disconnected negative battery lead to the positive battery post lead. Though this will not produce sparks as some may think, it will totally reset any remaining logic conditions in the computer... but is still totally unnecessary. Disco'ing the negative battery lead for 2 minutes is plenty.
Aloha Jerry, remember about a month ago I had the problem of my tj stahling out and idling too high, this after taking my battery out and cleaing things up with water. They finally ended up telling me that after I disconnect the battery I have to let the engine run at an idle for 30 minutes... this sounds like a load of crap to me and I suspect they were not telling me the truth, any thoughts?

Thanks and Aloha
04 Rubicon, Stone White w/all options, RE 4.5" superflex, 1" BL & 1" MML, Custom Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper w/swing out tire carrier, Custom Rock Rails w/steps, Mile Marker 12K winch/w Amsteel Blue synthetic line, 15X8 Black Rock crawler wheels w/35X12.5 Pro Comp Mudders, 800 watt power inverter. York OBA.
AirborneSilva is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.