Check Engine Light Reset - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Check Engine Light Reset

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeffrey View Post
Yes you can have the coed show up in the little odometer screen and use that chart to decode the codes.

For a 1998 - Present TJ
in 1998, Chrysler upgraded the Jeep's internals to include their revised system used across many Chrysler fuel-injection models. This newer system still provides for reading the codes yourself. But how you do it and actual codes themselves are different from the 1997 and earlier models.

The method you use to view the engine diagnostics is now different. Starting in 1998, the method of repeatedly switching on/off of the ignition is now used for programming the new Chrysler Sentry Key system. The Sentry Key was introduced in 1998 as an optional feature and by 2000 was standard on all TJs. Some 1998 models without the Sentry Key system may still use the older procedure. The way to tell if your Jeep has the Sentry Key system is if the plastic head on your keys are gray--you do. Black headed keys mean you don't have the Sentry Key system.

So on TJs with the newer diagnostic system, to see the codes you put the key into the ignition, push and hold down the odometer reset button, turn the key to RUN, then release the odometer reset button. When you do this you are rewarded with dancing number displays, the firmware version number, any error codes, then a diagnostic test of all the dash indicators and gauges. The gauges will, one by one, go through a calibration--the needles moving and stopping at major increments so you can check their alignment with the dial markings.

Output from the newer onboard diagnostics is easier to read now, as you get full 4-digits codes for much greater detail.
I can not read any codes on my odometer in my 2000 Sport. I have to use a code reader.

My 2000 also doesn't have the Sentry system.

If you hold down the odometer reset button and turn the key on, all it does is an instrument cluster test, no OBD II display.

Where do you come up with this stuff?...

Unread 03-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #17
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
or try this
put key in ignition
turn key "on"
turn key "off"

turn key "on"
turn key "off"

turn key "on"
turn key "off"

Code displays on odometer
If you follow that sequence, nothing will be displayed on any TJ odometer...
Unread 03-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #18
GM92
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
or try this
put key in ignition
turn key "on"
turn key "off"

turn key "on"
turn key "off"

turn key "on"
turn key "off"

Well he was close, 3rd time leave key on until code(s) or "done" is displayed in odometer. May not work on '00 - '02 models due to PCM differences.

From the FSM: After three good trips the MIL is extinguished and the Task Manager automatically switches the trip counter to a warm-up cycle ounter. DTCs are automatically erased following 40 warm-up cycles if the component does not fail again.
Unread 03-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

wow. okay this saves me a trip to Autozone to have them read. as always, thanks fellers
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Only hard codes will come back on after you pull the battery ...soft codes will be wiped clean
What is the diff? I had a MAP sensor code come up. It was cleared and never came back. I have been wondering if it is still there.
Quote:
I can not read any codes on my odometer in my 2000 Sport.
same here.... atleast not with the on/off method
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #21
angelo2975

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM92 View Post
Well he was close, 3rd time leave key on until code(s) or "done" is displayed in odometer. May not work on '00 - '02 models due to PCM differences.

From the FSM: After three good trips the MIL is extinguished and the Task Manager automatically switches the trip counter to a warm-up cycle ounter. DTCs are automatically erased following 40 warm-up cycles if the component does not fail again.
It will work for the 2002, one thing i didn't see mentioned is don't turn the key to crank ...just to the "accessory on" position
angelo2975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #22
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post

Where do you come up with this stuff?...
I googled it and got if from a website sorry.
33" BFGodrich KM2's | Ion Alloy 174 Rims | 4.5 Rubicon Express Lift | Currie adjustable control Arms | Advanced Adaptors SYE | Tom woods rear CV diveshaft | 4.0L I-6 Engine | NV231 Command-Trac Transfer case | Dana 30 w/ Aussie Locker | Dana 35c Rear w/ Trac-Lok Limited slip | 3.73 | ORO LED Tail lights | JKS Adjustable Trackbars and Quicker Disconnects | Black Magic Brakes | ZJ V8 Tie rod Upgrade | Uniden 520XL CB/PA system

[B]My Build Thread:[/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2003-wrangler-sport-4-5-re-lift-33-bfg-km2s-never-ending-wish-list-1312377/"]Click Here[/URL]

[B]Some of my Favorite Sites:[/B]
[URL="http://www.4x4xplor.com/mods-TJ.html/"]4x4xplor.com[/URL]
[URL="]http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp/"]stu-offroad.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/"]Quadratec Knowledge Base[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ tech bootcamp[/URL]

[B]Ask about my Custom Vinyl Decals![/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/new-vendor-custom-vinyl-decals-1385910//"]Click Here[/URL]
jeepinjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #23
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I googled it and got if from a website sorry.
Well, it would help if you'd stop posting things as fact when you don't know if they are...
Unread 09-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #24
aash918

It's not your gas cap. It's a $12.00 gasket that's located between the muffler and the polution devise. Call your dealer, they'll know what it's called and tell you it's location. Very easy fix. Had the same problem.
aash918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
ScruffMcGruff
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

My check engine light came on yesterday. A few days ago the engine would bog down and then come back to life while I heard a loud clanking sound under the Jeep. This happened a few times then stopped. Then yesterday the Check Engine light came on and has stayed on, but it has not bogged down since.

Quote:
Yes you can have the coed show up in the little odometer screen and use that chart to decode the codes.

For a 1998 - Present TJ
in 1998, Chrysler upgraded the Jeep's internals to include their revised system used across many Chrysler fuel-injection models. This newer system still provides for reading the codes yourself. But how you do it and actual codes themselves are different from the 1997 and earlier models.

The method you use to view the engine diagnostics is now different. Starting in 1998, the method of repeatedly switching on/off of the ignition is now used for programming the new Chrysler Sentry Key system. The Sentry Key was introduced in 1998 as an optional feature and by 2000 was standard on all TJs. Some 1998 models without the Sentry Key system may still use the older procedure. The way to tell if your Jeep has the Sentry Key system is if the plastic head on your keys are gray--you do. Black headed keys mean you don't have the Sentry Key system.

So on TJs with the newer diagnostic system, to see the codes you put the key into the ignition, push and hold down the odometer reset button, turn the key to RUN, then release the odometer reset button. When you do this you are rewarded with dancing number displays, the firmware version number, any error codes, then a diagnostic test of all the dash indicators and gauges. The gauges will, one by one, go through a calibration--the needles moving and stopping at major increments so you can check their alignment with the dial markings.

Output from the newer onboard diagnostics is easier to read now, as you get full 4-digits codes for much greater detail.
Quote:
I tried it.. nothing happened.

Quote:
or try this
put key in ignition
turn key "on"
turn key "off"

turn key "on"
turn key "off"

turn key "on"
turn key "off"

This worked.. sort of. It went through all the gauge readings, but did not show an error code. All it showed was my odometer reading.

I don't want to go to the auto parts store and have them check it, because I don't want them selling me useless items to "fix" it, such as blinker fluid.

Any more suggestions?
ScruffMcGruff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #26
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruffMcGruff View Post
I tried it.. nothing happened.
You need a code reader for your 1998...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #27
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
works on my tj odometer..Maybe I don't have a TJ
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #28
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You need a code reader for your 1998...
Do you have any recommendations for a code reader? I have been wanting to buy a good one.
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #29
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJeepJosh View Post
works on my tj odometer..Maybe I don't have a TJ
If your key is in the off position, nothing will be displayed in the odometer display...
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
Do you have any recommendations for a code reader? I have been wanting to buy a good one.
I bought a cheap one from HF, maybe someone else can make a recommendation?...

Tags
check , engine , light , reset

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.