Check engine light question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Check engine light question

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 05-18-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
Jim Smyth

Check engine light question

Hello FNG here.

I have owned my Jeep Wrangler since new in 1998. Over the last couple of winters I have noticed the check engine light comes on but only lasts for a few days/miles and then it eventually goes out by itself. Only happens once or twice each winter. I also had it come on last week, first time it came on when its somewhat warm outside (60 degrees) but it went out within 20 miles of driving. I know this light has to do with emmisions and from reading some of the stuff on this forum it appears its the sensors either in front of or behind the CAT are suspect. I have a few questions if you would be so kind and some are just other random questions.

1. Can these sensors just be taken out and cleaned or should you just replace them and be done with it? I plan on selling the Jepp this fall to a close friend and he will give it to his daughter, but I want it to be in good shape for him/her.

2. Also I have seen some guys posting codes for various problems. Is this read by pushing certain radio buttons or do you have to get a hand held code reader at the auto parts stores?

3. Last problem is the 4 wheel drive handle. If you pull it up into 4WD from 2WD the 4 wheel drive works appropriately but you really have to keep jiggling the handle back and forth to get the 4WD light on the dash to light up. Seems like it is getting harder as time goes by for the dash light to show the appropriate 4WD light and sometimes you cant get it lite even though you are in 4WD. I took the center console apart figuring I would find a switch that needed adjustment but theres no switch up top. So I went underneath and couldnt locate a switch or adjustment either. I did WD40 the links both on top and underneath but it was no help.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Jim.

Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
remote1

where you need to start is by getting the code and yeah needs to be read by a scanner the good news is a 98 is obdII so if you go by most parts stores, auto zone, advanced ect
they will read the code and give you a nifty little print out of it and its deffinition then we can go from there. a code should be stored at least for a little while after the light has gone out. could be a sensor, a componet failure, or something as simple as a loose gas cap. it just depends on what code you have.
jon
remote1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
FlyersFan2009

remote is correct we need the code.

If I were to guess though, I would say it's your upstream O2 sensor. That's just a guess though and is common when the O2 is getting ready to fail. Have you noticed the Jeep is sluggish when the light is on?

You don't have to go to Autozone to have the code pulled. Do the following when the CEL (check engine light is on):

1. Put your key in the ignition
2. Turn the key forward to the point where your gauges light up 3 times quickly.
3. Do it one more time but leave it on.

Your odometer will flash a few times and display the check engine codes.

http://faq.jeepforum.com/faq.php?id=486

Jon
FlyersFan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kopczyk

You don't have to go to Autozone to have the code pulled. Do the following when the CEL (check engine light is on):
That method does NOT work on a '98. That is why he was told to hook up a scanner.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 05:18 AM   #5
FlyersFan2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson
That method does NOT work on a '98. That is why he was told to hook up a scanner.

Ah, I learn something new everyday.

Thanks,

Jon
FlyersFan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.