Check engine light code trick? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Check engine light code trick?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
Jaybob7

Check engine light code trick?

I went wheeling on Saturday and I caught a small tree stump on the way down. I backed up and went on my way. This morning my check engine light came on. I was reading in a forum that you can check the codes by holding the odometer button while turning the key and the code should display. Does anyone know if this works?

I have an 04 Rubi by the way.

Appreciate your feedback!

[LEFT][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f123/"]Colorado Jeep Club Meber #205[/URL][/LEFT]

Last edited by Jaybob7; 07-19-2010 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: Forgot to submit the Jeep model.
Jaybob7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

No, you use your key.Without starting the engine just turn the key on,off,on,off,on and leave it!Do this quickly,like within a few seconds.The codes will come up on your odometer!You don't press the odometer!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Turn the ignition switch on-off-on (just to 'On' but not to start) three times within five seconds and then leave the key on. Several seconds later, any stored codes will show up in the odometer. Have patience, they don't show up immediately.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Jaybob7

Found code. The odometer states: "P0456". According to the forums it means the following: "Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (very small leak)". The forums say that more than likely it’s the gas cap. I will make sure my gas cap is on tight and also check it to make sure it’s in good condition. After that's done I will disconnect the battery to reset the code. Hopefully the gas cap does the trick, but we'll see...

[LEFT][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f123/"]Colorado Jeep Club Meber #205[/URL][/LEFT]
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Jaybob7

thightened the gas cap and clearer the code. Thanks guys! I just have to wait and see if it comes back.

Unread 09-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
kenjoseph2000
2004 TJ Wrangler 

guys thank you so much this trick worked flawlessly i have a p0455 code
kenjoseph2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
dan523

I had the same thing happened it was my gas cap and once I unplugged the battery it went away. I did have to reset the clock but for some reason I still have the radio stations preset saved it must have a backup battery or saved the stations in a short time!
dan523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan523
I had the same thing happened it was my gas cap and once I unplugged the battery it went away. I did have to reset the clock but for some reason I still have the radio stations preset saved it must have a backup battery or saved the stations in a short time!
if there is a problem it will still be there. Unplugging it doesn't completely reset the PCM

Tags
check engine , code , trick , diagnostic , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.