Check Engine light came on, same time my fuel started spilling over during fill up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Check Engine light came on, same time my fuel started spilling over during fill up

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Nielubie
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check Engine light came on, same time my fuel started spilling over during fill up

Anyone have an Idea why my check engine light is on? It started happening the same time my Jeep started spilling fuel during fill ups. I had the codes read and its saying its a gas cap, so I bought a new gas cap and cleared the error and a day later the light came back on. Somehow related to the fuel spilling.

My fear is that the Jeep won't pass state emissions, so I need to get this fixed. :/

Nielubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a problem with the vent. The little vent hose is what normally should keep it from overflowing as it allows air to escape from the top of the tank as fuel is rushing in. If you are overflowing, you might have an obstructed vent hose, though it seems unlikely. Your check engine light will come on if the smog gremlins think you may be unleashing raw fuel vapors to ravage the ozone and warm the globe. It's gotta be something back there. First things first... Disconnect the neg battery cable for a couple minutes to clear your computer codes... Reconnect and see if the check engine light comes back on. If it does, start investigating your fuel filler area since you already replaced your cap. Problem may be solved already. Your computer will continue to remind you there WAS a problem until you drive lots of miles or reset the codes. Hope this helps.

Just reread your post and saw you already cleared the codes. It's gotta be something back there. Same thing would probably cause overflow.

Last edited by dmgiff; 08-02-2010 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Stupidity
dmgiff is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light , CEL

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.