check engine light blinking - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > check engine light blinking

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #16
tr0mbley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ProjectWhiteTJ, did the crankshaft position sensor fix your p030* problem? Thanks in advance.

I first got the flashing check engine light on the highway one day. It went away immediately. Took it to Autozone and the scan turned up P0300, P0301, P0303, P0304, P0306. I changed plugs, still got the codes. Changed the plug wires, distributor cap, rotor. Codes were gone for about a week and a half (long enough to pass inspection ).

Then... I was driving home on the highway again today, and the flashing CEL comes on again but stays on this time, which is way more stressful. I did my best to check every single rubber hose under the hood, but honestly, it's hard to understand what the hell all the vacuum lines do. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a freaking vacuum hose connected to the brake pads, steering wheel, spare tire, turn signal......etc. I found nothing out of the norm, whatever that was. Couldn't hear any obvious whistling (though there is a fan blowing the hell out the engine bay all the time so it makes it hard to hear).

I guess it's time to start trading out sensors. Seems like there would be a more specific error for the O2 or crankshaft sensor? Isn't there a better way to solve this besides throwing money at every electronic part under the hood? Even so, I'll probably start with the O2 sensor because my mpg seems a little low and the engine feels like it is running rough (though I really have nothing to compare it to as this is my first TJ with an I6). If I just take out the O2 sensor will it look "dirty" or burnt out" if it is - in fact - bad? It also starts hard on cold startups. Sometimes I actually stop turning it over because it takes so long. Warm startups are fine.

Thanks for the update/answers.

Bob

tr0mbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #17
tr0mbley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Unplugged the header O2 sensor this morning. The car ran a little better than usual, but I burned through 2.06 gallons of gas over 18.6 miles. Not good. I plugged the sensor back up, and the performance seemed to remain the same. Hopefully gas consumption will return to normal levels. I will try unplugging the post-cat O2 sensor this evening and see what that does. Still have the codes.
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #18
tr0mbley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Update: Unplugged the post-cat O2 sensor, performance seemed about the same. Reconnected it later that evening and the CEL remained on. Went out to the car this morning to start it, and it was still on. Went out for ice cream later on, and the CEL was off. I have no idea what is causing it, but it seems electrical to me. I bought a Bosch exact fit O2 sensor for $62 and will be replacing it tonight.
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #19
tr0mbley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Update: The upstream O2 sensor was replaced about 5 days ago and the idle, cold start, overall performance, and gas mileage all seem to be improved. CEL is still off. Looks like this was the fix. I may proactively replace the downstream sensor to be sure. As far as I can tell, I am getting about 16.5 mpg on this tank.
Unread 12-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #20
goose0823

I have been having all these problem replaced the crank position sensor and it helped a lot... I couldn't get the old o2 sensors off so I havnt replaced them yet... I just got the blinking engine light and from what it sounds like I and yours needs a tune up plugs wires cap button whole nine yards
goose0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #21
jeeper01ca
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have had my check engine light blinking whenever I drive over 80 km/hm I changed my O2 sensor and never came back and no check engine errors at all.
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose0823 View Post
I have been having all these problem replaced the crank position sensor and it helped a lot... I couldn't get the old o2 sensors off so I havnt replaced them yet... I just got the blinking engine light and from what it sounds like I and yours needs a tune up plugs wires cap button whole nine yards

GOOSE0823'S JEEP
User Has Not Filled Out Jeep Information.

Do you own a TJ?...

Tags
cel , check engine light , flashing , indicator , lamp , Malfunction , mil

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.