check engine light blinking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > check engine light blinking

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 11-10-2008, 06:26 AM   #1
emtjoaquin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

check engine light blinking

Hello All ,

This morning when my check engine light came on ( flashing ) breifly . It felt like I had no pick up or it did not want to engage if you will . When I got to the next stop light it was gone . I've kept up on everything , no leaks nothing . This happened once before but I had put a can of 44k in it . Any thoughts ...Thanks .

emtjoaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Abondon your vehicle, that is the self destruct warning.

Check FAQ's for the trick to checking engine codes. Hopefully it will be one that shows up.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

Flashing is usually misfires. Stop at an auto parts store and see if you can read the code.
itasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Zew

1998 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on that. You'll have a p300 multiple misfire code and possibly p301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306 all depending on which cylinders are misfiring.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited - Kolak Ignition upgrade, K&N CAI, DT Headers w 3" Kolak exhaust/Flowmaster 50/Magnaflow CAT, Front/Rear Baer Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Front/Rear EBC Greenstuff Pads, Alpine CD/MP3/iPod Control Deck, RF 6.5 Power Series Separates

My V8 swap thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-5-2-v8-swap-618350/
Zew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes a blinking check engine light is a misfire, i would take it to someone, and get the codes pulled, autozone and advance auto will do it for free

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
emtjoaquin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Being that is still under warranty I took it to , the dare I say " Dealership " . The manual says " CATOSTROPHIC " failure if the light is blinking . Is this true ? The service advisor says it could be a lot of things . Also will they be able to read the codes even it the light is not on . When I drove it to the shop it did fine ???
Unread 11-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Sccafire
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtjoaquin View Post
Being that is still under warranty I took it to , the dare I say " Dealership " . The manual says " CATOSTROPHIC " failure if the light is blinking . Is this true ? The service advisor says it could be a lot of things . Also will they be able to read the codes even it the light is not on . When I drove it to the shop it did fine ???
yes it can be bad if you drive it with the CEL blinking all the time. Yes they can can check the codes if the light is not on.

"life is good at 2 MPH"
Sccafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
jake1977
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What I have learned is when your CEL is on and solid you need to have it looked at within a reasonable time. If it is flashing you need to get it looked at immediately. Rule goes first it is on solid then it will flash if urgent.
jake1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
jeep rio
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtjoaquin View Post
Hello All ,

This morning when my check engine light came on ( flashing ) breifly . It felt like I had no pick up or it did not want to engage if you will . When I got to the next stop light it was gone . I've kept up on everything , no leaks nothing . This happened once before but I had put a can of 44k in it . Any thoughts ...Thanks .
usually a flashing ses code on obd2 means a misfire or some other major malfunction. Stop driving the vehicle untill you can get it scanned and find out what the issue is other wise you can create additional issues.
2006 TJ- Custom lift 4in Full traction springs, OME shocks, Kilby skid plates and bumper, Full traction 3 link in rear, JKS control arms upper lower, Banks exhaust, Edge trail jammer, 4.56's and true trac front, Eaton elocker rear. D30, D44

1995 YJ Rio Grande- 4.0l Swap 3.5 in 4wd hardware lift, Ford 8.8 Rear 4.10 gears.
jeep rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea when the light is blinking, try not to accelerate fast or slow down quickly, just drive very nicely if you have to, im not sure about jeeps but my old trucks manual said that you could damage your cat if your drove quickly and things of that nature

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
jeep rio
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zew View Post
x2 on that. You'll have a p300 multiple misfire code and possibly p301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306 all depending on which cylinders are misfiring.
If it is P0300 it usually means vacuum leak! Not all the time but most of the time.
2006 TJ- Custom lift 4in Full traction springs, OME shocks, Kilby skid plates and bumper, Full traction 3 link in rear, JKS control arms upper lower, Banks exhaust, Edge trail jammer, 4.56's and true trac front, Eaton elocker rear. D30, D44

1995 YJ Rio Grande- 4.0l Swap 3.5 in 4wd hardware lift, Ford 8.8 Rear 4.10 gears.
jeep rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 03:19 AM   #12
gotmule
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem w/my '01. If you turn your ignition on and off 3 times in succession, leaving it on the 3rd time the codes will flash on the odometer. I got 2 cylinder misfires...replaced my plugs whose electrodes were worn to nubs and it runs like new...156k. I did not realize how much power I had lost.

Jerry
gotmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
emtjoaquin
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Turns out to be two o2 sensors . There are being replaced . Thanks for everyones help !
Unread 12-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #14
chubbena
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My check engine light flashed and engine ran rough on my way back home. Diid a little search here and found it was the 6th cylinder misfiring. Changing all spark plugs in the dark in freezing weather wasn't fun but it's running smooth now. Thanks to the forum and friends here.
chubbena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
ProjectWhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

weird i have tried all these things and i still have a p0300 or p030-. i am at a lost for what to try next. the only thing i can think of is the crankshaft position sensor.
any help?
thanks
ProjectWhiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cel , check engine light , flashing , indicator , lamp , Malfunction , mil

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.