Check Engine Light - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Check Engine Light

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #31
Mpaule
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Unfortunately, transmission (which seemed to be in good shape a few weeks back) went out. So we will get that rebuilt first. No advance notice on this one - dealer shop said the aluminum sprockets inside were shot?? Entire rebuild about $1800. I think I am going to own this Jeep for awhile. :-)
As far as CEL issue, dealer shop's official response is they isolated to the cat - everything else (sensors, wiring, PCM, etc...) is fine - so once I get jeep operational I will have cat replaced again by Jeep aftermarket shop that installed it. Hoping that will do it.
I will keep our progress posted as perhaps it may help others out there in the future.

Mpaule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #32
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

So is it possible that the problem was the transmission all along? Your bogging down and shutting off could have been the tranny seizing up or causing resistance......and in the process of misdiagnosing the cat converter and replacing that, the o2 sensors and/or wires were screwed up creating new gremlins of throwing CELs and codes. Now that you've been on a wild goose chase for a while....the real problem comes back to rear its ugly head. Sure hope you get it all worked out.
SomeBeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #33
Mpaule
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBeach View Post
So is it possible that the problem was the transmission all along? Your bogging down and shutting off could have been the tranny seizing up or causing resistance......and in the process of misdiagnosing the cat converter and replacing that, the o2 sensors and/or wires were screwed up creating new gremlins of throwing CELs and codes. Now that you've been on a wild goose chase for a while....the real problem comes back to rear its ugly head. Sure hope you get it all worked out.
Quite possible, although exhaust manifold repaired by dealer was cracked - and jeep ran noticeably better after that repair. And cat/muffler were well rusted when we removed them, and ran better & quieter post op, so I am going with the "things happen for a reason" theme on this one. I assume many jeeps need a tranny rebuild around 100K? But I am looking forward to driving this "brand new jeep".
Unread 03-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #34
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I assume many jeeps need a tranny rebuild around 100K?
I've never seen anything that indicates so. My '98 2.5L manual has 221k on it, all original equipment.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #35
Mpaule
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStMarie View Post
I've never seen anything that indicates so. My '98 2.5L manual has 221k on it, all original equipment.
Ours is automatic
Unread 03-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #36
Mpaule
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Got our Jeep back today with overhauled transmission. $1800 parts & labor. Runs nice. Waiting for CEL to return (as it was reset), then its on to Jeep shop to replace cat under warranty. I am told everything else checks out, and that CEL returning is due to cat converter failure.
Will keep this thread posted until we figure out CEL.
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #37
Mpaule
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Update on 4/10/2013 - appears that an intake air temperature sensor (IAT) - $33.00 part - is keeping the cel from returning on thus far. Jeep/chrysler dealer couldn't diagnose this. Aftermarket jeep shop did. Will see how it goes and update thread if necessary. Hope this helps others that are having cel issues.

Last edited by Mpaule; 04-12-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Unread 04-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #38
Mpaule
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Update on Issue

Update on 4/21: CEL light returned after about 60 miles. Getting looked at again this week. Guess I am still open for any ideas here.
Unread 05-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #39
Mpaule
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Final solution to the ongoing cel light continuing to light - first thing we did was to replace cat converter early on with aftermarket product. Cat was fine. Supllier/mfg failed to inform all that o2 sensors should be moved further away from each end of cat. This was done on our last trip to shop and no further problems have been encountered. Sure hope this may help someone out there who has similar problem with check engine light. It did force us to fix some necessary items on the jeep, but what a process.

Tags
1998 , cel , check engine light , exhaust , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.