Check engine Light 03' 2.4 reset - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Check engine Light 03' 2.4 reset

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
Gunkel

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Check engine Light 03' 2.4 reset

The check engine light in my 03' TJ 2.4 will not shut off, when I run the self-diagnostic (trip reset hold, key on, release trip reset), after the firmware version (3.1), it lists the number 319468, then "no faults" before checking or setting all of the guage calibrations, when it is all said and done, the check engine light stays on. I have left the battery disconnected over the weekend, preformed the "adaptive memory reset" suggest by a member in a previous thread, all to no avail. Any recommentations or help would be greatly appreciated!

Greg

Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
Gunkel

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Bump...any ideas anyone? if not, I believe I will be headed for the dealer next week. I have checked everything I can think of.

Thanks..

Fireproof...jeep build thread

Cosmo Blue LJ...jeep build thread
Unread 05-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
TAMUJeep

sorry I'm not gonna be any help but I am having the same problem. Your not alone. I too am headed for the dealer...engine light + resr main leaking + AC not cold + 33K on an 04 = dealer trip!
TAMUJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Katch
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the solution

On my '02 TJ, that method of diagnostics only checks the diagnostics of your dashboard (it's probably the same on newer models). You need to plug in a diagnostic code reader thing to the plug below the steering wheel (it's the rectangular looking thing). No worries though....it's easy to do and it's free.

Go to an AutoZone store (others may do it too?), and they will let you borrow their reader for free. Just let them hold on to your driver's license. Just take it out to your Jeep and plug it in...and follow the instructions. It also lets you reset the codes. Some readers may only give you a number, but you can find what it means here on the net.

Steve
Katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
plumcrazy

got my code reader from harborfreighttools.com it also resets it for ya

i think i paid like $42 delivered

NOW i gotta figure out how to get more HP ! ! !
plumcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

On my 03 with the 4.0 I turn the key on and off three times to get the engine codes.
Jim
Unread 05-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #7
Katch
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog
On my 03 with the 4.0 I turn the key on and off three times to get the engine codes.
Jim
Has your check engine light come on? Have you actually gotten any codes other than the "no fault" code? I thought that with my '02, but the key turn test on the newer Jeeps only check the dash board. If yours goes through the cycle where each guage reads from 0 to max and all the dash lights cycles, then yours also does only the dash checks. You'll find out (if you buy the $100+ service manual) when your check engine light comes on the first time. I used to think the same thing on my '02 (4.0 L), until I got the famous emission leak problem.

Steve
Katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2006, 12:39 AM   #8
Gunkel

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will head to autozone on Monday.

Fireproof...jeep build thread

Cosmo Blue LJ...jeep build thread
Unread 05-07-2006, 07:18 AM   #9
builderpaul

Turning off the light will do no good if you don't fix the reason it came on. As soon as you turn the truck back on it will detect the fault and turn the light back on again. Scan for the code and fixing the problem is the only way to keep the light off.
FYI: some codes are set with different driving cycles. Some will set upon the first fault detection some may need the fault detected several times before setting a code. A code reader will only read and delete the code. This can make diagnosing an intermittent problem difficult. A scanner is not much more money, it will also read pending codes and freeze frame data (what was happening when the code was set). This makes it easier to figure out those intermittent problems.
Just like an old school mechanic having to add a set a metric stuff to a tool box, todays mechanic must also have a toolbox of electronics diagnose equipment.
builderpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2006, 07:26 AM   #10
sledog

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport; I had the same problem; the engine light came on; and i added a can Heet; which absorbed the moisture; thus the engine light went off and has stayed off. You might try that.
sledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2006, 07:28 AM   #11
sledog

engine light

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2006, 07:45 AM   #12
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch
Has your check engine light come on? Have you actually gotten any codes other than the "no fault" code? I thought that with my '02, but the key turn test on the newer Jeeps only check the dash board. If yours goes through the cycle where each guage reads from 0 to max and all the dash lights cycles, then yours also does only the dash checks. You'll find out (if you buy the $100+ service manual) when your check engine light comes on the first time. I used to think the same thing on my '02 (4.0 L), until I got the famous emission leak problem.

Steve
Yes - I had the check engine light come on and did the key three times thing. It displayed P0123 which turned out to be the TPS crapping out.
jim

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.