Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cheap radiator fix. Will it work?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  justanotherjpr 
#1 ·
This is not a daily driver, just a play toy. My radiator blew out at the gas station while I was pumping gas. It split in the plastic upper part. Instead of a new radiator I was going to try either jb weld or some good epoxy. I am also going to replace the radiator cap as they may have let it build up to much pressure. has anyone done this? or can anyone recommend the best and strongest epoxy for use on plastic?

#2 ·
When i worked at Lockheed, i took a tube of B1-6 Aircraft integral fuel tank sealant and patched up my buddys radiator on his 97 F-150 so we could go wheelin that day...he got a new one like 4 days later but it worked until then lol. As far as a permanent/long term fix im not sure...

#4 ·
haha. If you wanna talk about nervous.... You should have seen my face when my not running jeep made the weirdest sound of her life, then I turn around and see fluid explode out from under the hood, and a plume of white smoke. Its at the very top of the radiator, so it's not gonna lose all the coolant, if it was at the bottom I would never consider this.

#7 ·
I had the same thought for about 5 seconds, and then I just stopped being cheap and ordered a new all metal radiator. Less than $200 bucks later I don't have to worry about keeping 3 jugs of coolant in the Jeep "just in case".... I figured the last one went for almost 200,000 miles, the new all metal one should last plenty long enough.

#8 ·
I like the vacuum part. that's a good idea. I think the radiator is only under like 14psi.... and the epoxy packet says WAY WAY more than that. soooo Im going to try it. I mean if that stretchy tape on tv works on a radiator hose, I do not see how this can go wrong.... other than it not working at all. I guess Ill just use some standard plastic epoxy and see what happens

but advance auto is doing a 25 percent of radiators, that puts a new one costing only $120.....

#10 ·
The plastic failed in one area - where will it fail next?
Might get by for a while, but unless you are stranded on the trail fix it right.

#11 ·
I had a small 2 inch crack in mine by the tab that points up on the passenger side top that happened when I rolled my tj.

I jb welded the piss out of it and drove it for about 6 weeks till it was decent enough outside I could change it with out getting rained or snowed on while doing it.

You could smell radiator fluid but I checked it frequently and never had to add any.

It still was fine when i pulled it and put an all aluminum one in.

You could probably deal with it for awhile and be ok but i wouldn't go offroad by your self in it in case it totally pops.

#12 ·
I agree with the above posts, as my temporary fix and the others i would not see working very long...IF you decide to get a new one, i bought mine from www.radiatorbarn.com; it's a heavy duty 3 row all metal radiator, and i could not be any more happy with the customer service i recieved...it was delivered within 2 days, and ive had no problems with it. It only cost me right around $200 bucks, and i chose this over an aluminum one because aluminum, even for a 2 row one, was more expensive, didnt have free shipping, didnt have as good of a warranty..etc. Anyway, i'm by no means connected to the company, just wanted to pass on the name since i got such great results. Nowadays you can barely find anywhere with that kind of service

#15 ·
I had good success patching an oil pan with the putty steel stuff until a new one came in. The putty dries hard as a rock and the oil pan had a BIG crack and never leaked a drop. Never had good luck with the liquid type JB weld.

If I were stranded and needed to patch this to get home, I would scuff the area really well and then pack the crack with the putty and all around the area so it's got a good hold. Then figure out a way with tape to keep pressure on it and you'll probably be ok. You might try this and see how it goes but like above, replacing the radiator will be best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.