cheap/free mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cheap/free mods

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
FtBraggRubi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

cheap/free mods

I have been reading up on this forum for 6 months or so and have learned a lot of things. I have an 04 Rubicon. so far I have been spending time eliminating all the irritating safety features.The locker bypass, fog light relay bend, Starter safety, and I made some quick disco's with clevis pins. I went with 1/2" instead of 7/16" and ground them down slowly with a bench grinder till they fit nice and tight but still easy to remove. I have searched but haven't found anymore of these types of mods. any suggestions?

FtBraggRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/budget-junkyard-upgrades-518873/

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec

Last edited by WillysEdition04; 02-16-2009 at 12:03 AM..
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think you have done most of the ones I have done, I think my next set of cheap quick disconnects, is going to be grade 8, 1/2" bolts turned down to the right size and hole drilled for the pin.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
FtBraggRubi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I thought about that as well but decided it was just easier to grind down the clevis pins. I then used washers to get them snug. It also helped to grind the pins to a point that way they are easier to get started. Obviously not the quickest and I only used them on a long day of wheeling. Thinks for the links so far.
FtBraggRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Moon_Rover
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I went another whole different idea for the discos. Worked very well and i didnt have to grind down the pins. I cut the pin X" long and then beat it in place from the "links" end. The pin stays in the links now and to disco them, you pull the wire, take out the washer and simply push it out. Then put the washer in there and put the wire to hold them in place.

I've been running this design for 2 years now, i just checked them last week and the pins still look as good as new (just a bit rusty). The small side is not worn out like you get with the small 7/16" pins.

Moon_Rover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
Cole99
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Rover View Post
I went another whole different idea for the discos. Worked very well and i didnt have to grind down the pins. I cut the pin X" long and then beat it in place from the "links" end. The pin stays in the links now and to disco them, you pull the wire, take out the washer and simply push it out. Then put the washer in there and put the wire to hold them in place.

I've been running this design for 2 years now, i just checked them last week and the pins still look as good as new (just a bit rusty). The small side is not worn out like you get with the small 7/16" pins.

Click Free

My 97 Build/Modification Thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/modifications-97-sport-pic-heavy-678029/
Cole99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
Moon_Rover
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole99 View Post
Click Free
Thank you sir, hopefully in few days my pics should start showing.
Unread 02-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
Cole99
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Rover View Post
Thank you sir, hopefully in few days my pics should start showing.
No problem. A bit of advice though, don't forget to fill in your Jeep Profile, before some of these guys jump on ya when/if you ask for help in the future

My 97 Build/Modification Thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678029
Cole99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Moon_Rover
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole99 View Post
No problem. A bit of advice though, don't forget to fill in your Jeep Profile, before some of these guys jump on ya when/if you ask for help in the future
most of it is done

As far as other free/cheap mods, shifter extension is a good buy for my 2" body lift

Did i mention flipping the rear bumper and as well as flipping the frames on the stock steps? It will lift them up exactly 2" getting rid of the gap from the BL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.