Cheap but good way to extend sway bar links?... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cheap but good way to extend sway bar links?...

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cheap but good way to extend sway bar links?...

I just bought a lightly used OME 2.5" HD set of shocks and springs. I also got an RC relo bracket for the rear track bar. Since one of my big goals is to keep my lift simple and inexpensive I have no interest in quicker discos and just want to extend my front and rear links enough to match up properly with the lift (same amount as lift I assume).

Anyone have suggestions on inexpensive links that are longer? Or has anyone cut and welded in round bar metal to extend them (I'd have to pay for that so probably not a good option for me)?

If anyone has used stuff they want to part with let me know.

I am not going to use adj track bars but simply relocate the front and rear stockers, as I've read their clearance is usually better for full articulation than the beefier aftermarket adj bars anyway (plus this is my one and only lift since it's my DD ...won't be going higher other than adding BL/MML later on, if even that).

Thanks for any info or good used parts anyone can sell.

2005 LJ, NSG-370 6-spd (close-ratio), 3.73's, three tops incl. custom Sunrider-Safari top, 38"x22" hardtop sunroof, OME 2.5", JKS 1.25 BL/1.0 MML, seats 2"^, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Ion 171's (16x8), Alpine CDE135-BT/KTP-445/Polk521Db/650Db, full soft/hard doors, Harley L.Stms, "I swear my Jeep is staying stock"
05Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Do you want cheap or good? I find it's one or the other.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
stokerdog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I cut the links and welded in an extension. Cheap and Good
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The stock links are 1/2". I used 3/4" round stock, drilled 1/2" holes, about 1" deep, made them 5" longer than stock. Heated and bent to exact shape. Took stockers and cut off ends, leaving 1" on each to insert into new link extention. Installed with slip-fit loctite, then drilled and installed roll pins to secure ends. Makes stockers 3" longer for lifted applications. (Yes, I was bored at work one day...).
cheapjeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Since I can't weld I just thought of a potential option that's probably better anyway. Perhaps use some 3/4" round stock and drill 1/2" holes in it, then tap the holes. Cut matching threads into one of the cut pieces of stock link. Then you have homemade adjustable extension links. Only thing I don't know how to do is cut outer threads onto the 1/2 stock links (I imagine it's easy but I've just never cut ...only tapped).

How's this for an idea?

OTOH I have some pending deals for good used stuff like some Fabtech rear swaybar end links ~25 shipped? Tempted to save time and just do that ....
2005 LJ, NSG-370 6-spd (close-ratio), 3.73's, three tops incl. custom Sunrider-Safari top, 38"x22" hardtop sunroof, OME 2.5", JKS 1.25 BL/1.0 MML, seats 2"^, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Ion 171's (16x8), Alpine CDE135-BT/KTP-445/Polk521Db/650Db, full soft/hard doors, Harley L.Stms, "I swear my Jeep is staying stock"
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have run out of patience researching this (for some reason it's mysteriously hard to find any info via search and also hardly anyone makes the proper length fixed end links for a 3" lift). HOWEVER, I stumbled on this and it's obviously reasonable (Fat Bob Zone 3" deal):

http://fatbobsgarage.com/i-7189735-j...ink-combo.html

Would this work well? Why aren't the front links offset like stock? ...won't that cause a problem? Maybe not since there is a bushing at each end. LOL if you do a search on "length of stock TJ front sway bar links" you will come up with NOTHING LOL, NOTHING!!! I'm just going to go measure mine ....sheesh. I know the rear is a good length because rear links are 7" eye to eye and Zone's 3" is 9.75" so 2 3/4" is acceptable and should plant it a tad tighter IIUC. Fronts ....who knows, it's a mystery one must get the measuring tape out for lol.
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can buy extended solid links on ebay.
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
You can buy extended solid links on ebay.
Thanks Boog' ....I've already looked a bit but only found a deal that's about the same as Bob's Zone kit. What do you think about the issue of (at least the links actually pictured) the links not being offset like stock? Also note that the front links in the Zone 3" kit are only 9" and stock is about 7 - 7.5" from what I just measured. I wonder why they didn't make their fronts 10" long? Perhaps they found a slightly reduced sway bar angle to be better than stock?:

"Vehicle Applications:

1997 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ 3 Lift

Kit Contains:

- Front sway bar end links for 3-4 of lift (9" Length) - stock is 7 - 7.5" so this seems inadequate? Maybe when you add the extra length of the adaptor-brackets it nets out to 10"?

- Rear sway bar end links for 2-3 of lift (9.75" Length) - stock is 7" so this seems good
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Unlimited View Post
Thanks Boog' ....I've already looked a bit but only found a deal that's about the same as Bob's Zone kit. What do you think about the issue of (at least the links actually pictured) the links not being offset like stock? Also note that the front links in the Zone 3" kit are only 9" and stock is about 7 - 7.5" from what I just measured. I wonder why they didn't make their fronts 10" long? Perhaps they found a slightly reduced sway bar angle to be better than stock?:

"Vehicle Applications:

1997 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ 3 Lift

Kit Contains:

- Front sway bar end links for 3-4 of lift (9" Length) - stock is 7 - 7.5" so this seems inadequate? Maybe when you add the extra length of the adaptor-brackets it nets out to 10"?

- Rear sway bar end links for 2-3 of lift (9.75" Length) - stock is 7" so this seems good
All the aftermarket front links mount slightly differently.They mount the same but the top link has the extra top mount(like rear links with a top mount piece).The exact length of the links isn't really important.Most go from 0-2" lift and 2-4" lift.Anything is better than the stock front,easily breakable ones.I need new front ones myself for a 2" lift.
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All the aftermarket front links mount slightly differently.They mount the same but the top link has the extra top mount(like rear links with a top mount piece).The exact length of the links isn't really important.Most go from 0-2" lift and 2-4" lift.Anything is better than the stock front,easily breakable ones.I need new front ones myself for a 2" lift.
Yeah that's the only reason I'm discarding the idea of extending my stock links ...too much time and work for something that's not very strong. My stock rears aren't even steel, they're like a tough kind of plastic or something. I figured that out about the top link but that still doesn't address the geometry problem with having a straight link vs an offset one. Seems like exact length would be kinda important, not critical of course but pretty important to achieve the optimum sway bar angle (about 10 degrees).
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The aftermarket ones aren't straight.The actual bends are at the top and bottom mounts where the bolts go through.It's not as obvious,but you'll know if you install them wrong.
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The aftermarket ones aren't straight.The actual bends are at the top and bottom mounts where the bolts go through.It's not as obvious,but you'll know if you install them wrong.
I thought I could maybe see a slight angle at the ends, hard to tell from pics. Thanks. I think I'll just go with Fat Bob's stuff ...pretty solid deal on solid links ...
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Unlimited View Post
I thought I could maybe see a slight angle at the ends, hard to tell from pics. Thanks. I think I'll just go with Fat Bob's stuff ...pretty solid deal on solid links ...
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wish someone could coherently explain why everyone seems to think that the sway bar cares at all what angle it is mounted at. If the tires don't hit it, and the links are equal length, what difference does everyone think it makes?

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I cut mine extended ones and welded them shorter so it should work if you did the opposite! That's how they make them anyways...

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.