Chasing noise for a year now. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chasing noise for a year now.

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Silver yj

Chasing noise for a year now.

I have a 2002 TJ with 6 1/2 lift. Quick story to the prob. Last winter I had a truck slide threw an intercetion on ice and I was in 2wd, I hit the gas to get out of the way and spun, yanked the lever into 4x4 while on gas ( yea I know ) and got out of the way before he hit the bank beside me. 2 weeks later my axle backed out on me. Replaced rear axles and bearings. Road test, all good for about an hour and out of know where a loud bearing noise started. Since then I have replaced the trans cause the shifter was shaking and noise is there in 3rd,4th and 5th. Noise still there. Replaced trans case, noise still there. Noise is only there in 3,4,and 5th, all driveline has been replaced except fron rear and u joints. Noise sounds like a loud Pinion bearing and goes away when you let off gas. HELP!!!!!!!!

Silver yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Have you search for "angry sparrows"? If nothing else, its a good starting point/
Unread 12-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
junkyarddog
1997 ZJ 

Pull the rear driveshaft and drive it down the road. If vibration leaves that is your problem. The reason it happens in the higher gears is more rpms on the driveshaft and rearend.
junkyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver yj View Post
...my axle backed out on me...
What does this mean?

Quote:
...Replaced rear axles and bearings ...
What exactly was replaced? Axle shafts? Both? Wheel bearings, pinion bearing, carrier bearings?

Quote:
...I have replaced the trans cause the shifter was shaking ...
Did you check the motor/transmission mounts before replacing the transmission? SYE/CV shaft? Pinion angle right? Remove the rear drive shaft, drive in 4wd, and see if the noise is still there.
Unread 12-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Silver yj

Everything is new in the rear. Both axles were replaced when one snapped on me driving down the road a couple days after I dumped it into 4x4. I have driven it with rear shaft out and noise is still there. Im going to pull the front shaft in alittle bit. We have electronic ears at the shop I work at that I have connected to the rear, trans, and t-case and as you drive you have a head set on and click to each hook up and listen for noise. Onlt place the noise comes from is the trans and loud, the trans was the first thing replaced and no change.
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
Silver yj

Just took front shaft out, noise still there. So it has been driven in 2x4 with front shaft in and out, 4x4 with rear shaft in and out, new trans, new trans case, rebuilt rears. Nothing fixed it.
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Cavitation
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Clutch maybe???
Cavitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Silver yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavitation View Post
Clutch maybe???
Forgot bout that but clutch was replaced as well when I did the trans swap.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.