Charging Woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Charging Woes

Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-208.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
ihavenoidea

Charging Woes

Last week my original alternator went, or so I thought. The battery gauge started reading 19+ and it eventually killed the battery.
So I replaced the alternator and battery. Still having charging issues.
When I left work, the battery gauge was dead. As I got closer to home, everything started to dim so I pulled over. The idle dipped very low as if it was about to stall then came back up to normal idle and the gauge read 14V and I confirmed this with a multimeter.
This morning I started it up and the alternator wasn't putting any voltage out, the multimeter only read 12.2V at the alternator post. I pulled the alternator and had it tested. Tested fine.

What to check next? 97 4.0L TJ

ihavenoidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check and see if the fusible link is corroded or loose?...

Edit: Or signs of it having been hot...
Unread 08-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Dave02TJ
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Do as Knucklehead suggests, but just a heads up for you, the voltage regulator is part of the PCM - Powertrain Control Module.
Dave02TJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.