Changing a starter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing a starter

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
nuclearstrife
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Changing a starter

My starter has stopped working properly since my last run out. I have to hit it with a hammer to get it to turn over.

With that being said, is there anything I need to be aware of when changing the starter? Looks like disconnect the battery, disconnect the leads, unbolt and do the reversal for the new one.

I am going to pick up a new one tomorrow and hopefully get this in this weekend.

Any input would be helpful.

nuclearstrife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearstrife View Post
My starter has stopped working properly since my last run out. I have to hit it with a hammer to get it to turn over.

With that being said, is there anything I need to be aware of when changing the starter? Looks like disconnect the battery, disconnect the leads, unbolt and do the reversal for the new one.

I am going to pick up a new one tomorrow and hopefully get this in this weekend.

Any input would be helpful.

Easy swap with the correct tools.

reverse torx (I think), if it is don't use at 12 point wrench as it will strip.
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy did it for me in under 20 min. old one out new one in. be sure the ground strap is secured and clean the plug too. tighten the bolts good.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
zu903
1998 TJ Wrangler 

did mine a week ago its very easy and i was surprised at how cheap they where
zu903 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
the_art_of_desi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ya, make sure you have the inverted torx bit before you start...
2.5L : AX-5 : NP231, D30HP : D44 : 4:88 : Front Aussie
2.5" OME lift, OME LT shocks, 2" BL, Currie Control Arms, Currie HD Steering, Currie Trackbars, Warn M8000
Custom Front and Rear Bumpers, Custom Rock Sliders, OBA
33" x 12.5" x 15" Goodyear MTRs, Black Steelies
the_art_of_desi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
tjsooner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

think they're called e-torx need an E14 i believe
tjsooner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
kennemore_m
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure about the 6 cyl as I have not had to do that yet but on last YJ with 4 cyl, 5 speed it was very easy. Two of the reverse torx bolts that go straight up (after disconnecting the battery cables). Once you pull the bolts the starter may seem stuck or seem like you are missing a bolt. Just give it a wiggle and it come right out. If there is a shim, try to note the position of it and install it back with the new starter (if the new starter did not come with a new one). That's about it. Took me about 15 minutes to do the last one.
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
nuclearstrife
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for the heads up. Got it changed out in about 20 mins and I am back in business.
nuclearstrife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
starter , replace , replacing , help , advice , tj , wrangler , electric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.