Changing Speedo Gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing Speedo Gear

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 08-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #1
rjlaraway
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Changing Speedo Gear

Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
3.07 Rear Axle Ratio
Dana M35/194MM Rear Axle
4.0L I6/Manual

Put 31x10.5 tires on with the existing 2" BB and noticed speedo is off, at 65 (confirmed by GPS app) it's actually 59-60 on the speedo.

Changing the gear looks pretty straight forward. I think this is the piece I need
http://www.quadratec.com/products/55200_6127.htm

Any advantage to going up or down a size here? It doesn't actually affect my gears correct? It's just a sensor for the speedo and odometer, right?

rjlaraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
bisleywrangler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There is no legal advantage in making your speedo read higher or lower than it should. Changing the gear will only affect the speedo and not the actual gearing of the axles.
bisleywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
treemagnet
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing u have done is change ur tires for larger than stock, so ur speedometer is reading faster by very little than what ur actual speed is. I would suggest not bothering to do this at this time
Wait till you decide to change ur gears to say 4.10 or 4.56 from the 3.07 then buy the correct one as now u would be paying twice for it. I did just that waited till i did my gears. As u cannot get a ticket for going
to slow normally but u can for overspeed.
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
rjlaraway
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemagnet View Post
The only thing u have done is change ur tires for larger than stock, so ur speedometer is reading faster by very little than what ur actual speed is. I would suggest not bothering to do this at this time
Wait till you decide to change ur gears to say 4.10 or 4.56 from the 3.07 then buy the correct one as now u would be paying twice for it. I did just that waited till i did my gears. As u cannot get a ticket for going
to slow normally but u can for overspeed.
Good point, out of curiosity what are the costs associated with going to 4.10 from 3.07?
rjlaraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlaraway View Post
Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
3.07 Rear Axle Ratio
Dana M35/194MM Rear Axle
4.0L I6/Manual
Put 31x10.5 tires on with the existing 2" BB and noticed speedo is off, at 65 (confirmed by GPS app) it's actually 59-60 on the speedo.
Changing the gear looks pretty straight forward. I think this is the piece I need
http://www.quadratec.com/products/55200_6127.htm
Any advantage to going up or down a size here? It doesn't actually affect my gears correct? It's just a sensor for the speedo and odometer, right?
Installing a speedometer gear 2 teeth smaller would get you close, 1 tooth equals approximately 3 mph at 60 mph on your speedometer. HTH
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemagnet View Post
The only thing u have done is change ur tires for larger than stock, so ur speedometer is reading faster by very little than what ur actual speed is.
I think you've got that backwards...
Unread 08-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

OP, if you check out this thread below, you may can do a speedo gear swap for close to free, just shipping.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ta...o-gear-643981/
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
sarkaukar2000
2001 TJ Wrangler 

On the installation paperwork at the Quadratec site, a very important piece that gets missed at times.

Quote:
8. You will notice that there are a series of number located
along the side of the speedometer gear housing. Select the
appropriate tooth gear range you just installed and rotate it
until it is aligned with the raised dot on the transfer case as
shown in the picture to the left.
sarkaukar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.