Changing a Rear Main Seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing a Rear Main Seal

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 12-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Irishcopper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Changing a Rear Main Seal

I'm the original owner of a 2001 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0 engine with 81K miles and 5 speed manual transmission. I've maintained my Jeep in accordance with Jeep's scheduled maintenance and it's served me quite well. Last week I noticed some dime sized spots of oil in my carport. I checked the oil level and was down half a quart. I topped the oil level off and have been monitoring it daily. Based on where it's originating from the oil appears to be the result either a valve cover leak OR from the rear main seal. I don't have the means to work on the Jeep myself but I've found a ASE certified mechanic that has a good reputation with Jeep owners to troubleshoot the leak and make the necessary repairs. If the oil is originating from the rear main seal is there anything else I should have them replace while they have the transmission pulled? A friend suggested replacing the clutch kit and slave cylinder as they are both original. Given the majority of the mechanics bill will be for labor do you think it would wise to get all of this accomplished at once, or is it overkill? This is my primary mode of transportation and want to keep it running well and out of the repair shop! Thanks!

Irishcopper

Irishcopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
unlimited4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

To replace the rear main seal I believe you only need to drop the oil pan, and a few bottom engine components based on the write ups I have reviewed, not the transmission. Mine is leaking as well.

Here is a good write up:tek-tonic
unlimited4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Sirwriter
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm dropping my tranny to replace it with a rebuilt one. Even though the clutch works fine, I'll put a clutch kit and slave cylinder in it simply because of the time and hassle of yanking everything out to get to it if it does go bad. Mine's not the original, but it has about 85K on it. If you have a mechanic do yours, it would cost a lot less to do it now with the tranny out than to have to go back in at a later date and do it from scratch. Mine's a 99 TJ. I'd vote to replace it now.

Sirwriter
Sirwriter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The transmission does not have to be removed to replace the 4.0L rear main seal. 81K is probably about half the life of the OEM clutch for most people. Replacing the clutch would significantly increase the cost of both parts and labor.
Unread 12-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
unlimited4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Makes sense now.
unlimited4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Sirwriter
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited4x4 View Post
To replace the rear main seal I believe you only need to drop the oil pan, and a few bottom engine components based on the write ups I have reviewed, not the transmission. Mine is leaking as well.

I didn't know you could replace the rear seal that easily. In my case, I still think it is a good economic move to replace the kit while the tranny is out, since I'm replacing the tranny. Not that much more money and takes only a little while longer.
By the way, that's a very good write up!

Sirwriter
Unread 12-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Lv03JeepTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Does this also go with automatic transmissions? 2003 Wrangler with a 6cyl. Thanks!!
Lv03JeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv03JeepTJ View Post
Does this also go with automatic transmissions? 2003 Wrangler with a 6cyl. Thanks!!
Yes.

Welcome to the forum.
Unread 12-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
Irishcopper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks to those of you that provided me your recommendations regarding my 2001 Jeep Wrangler. The oil was leaking from both the rear main seal and valve cover gasket. As several of you mentioned the transmission DID NOT need to be removed and my mechanic only needed to pull the oil pan to change the rear main seal. This mechanic has a reputation for being honest and doing good work, but I was glad to have some insight about how to troubleshoot this leak before taking it to his shop.

Ya'll have a safe and Happy New Year!

Cheers!

Irishcopper
Irishcopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited4x4 View Post

I am going to bookmark that write up, its great!
Thanks for including it!
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
doclouie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here is another good write up.

http://www.savagesun4x4.com/oil_pan_...bearing_s.html
doclouie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Before you spend the $$$ to replace the rear main check the oil pan bolts in the area near the 2 Precats. I think that the heat from them makes the bolts loosen. I've fixed 3 Jeeps now just by tightning those bolts.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwriter View Post
I didn't know you could replace the rear seal that easily. In my case, I still think it is a good economic move to replace the kit while the tranny is out, since I'm replacing the tranny. Not that much more money and takes only a little while longer.
By the way, that's a very good write up!

Sirwriter
You do have to remove the transmission to replace the rear main seal. You have the 4 cylinder which uses a one piece seal. The 6 cylinder uses a two piece seal.
Unread 01-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
Sirwriter
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
You do have to remove the transmission to replace the rear main seal. You have the 4 cylinder which uses a one piece seal. The 6 cylinder uses a two piece seal.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm yanking out the clutch, the tranny, and the transfer case this week. I would have wondered WTF???
Unread 12-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
boydbe

4.0 rear main seal

I have removed the two bolts for the rear main bearing cap and it won't budge. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
boydbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.