Changing NV3550 fluid. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Panici
(O|||||||O)

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Changing NV3550 fluid.

To start, sorry guys for the beginner question. I as still young and want to learn.

Anyways, i just purchased enough RP fluids to replace everything in the jeep. I've done the motor oil, and the NV3550 is next on the list.

Where can i find some instructions on the procedure? I have the FSM for 04, but i cannot seem to locate anything about transmission fluid change.

Also are there any special tools i will need?

Thanks in advanced guys,
Kelvyn

_______
|_
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_|
(OlllllllO)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Erin Go Bragh

2001 TJ Wrangler 

try stu-offroad.com
he's got a write up on how to change the gear oil in a nx-15 trans. Pretty straight forward procedure and also will work just the same for your trans. Drain plug and fill plug might be in slightly different locations though.

"Some days I feel about as sharp as a butter knife."

"It's not the years, it's the mileage. "

"Common sense will take a person far in life, problem is, common sense just isn't very common anymore."
post #3 of 9 Old 09-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Matts02
2015 WK 

It is a really easy procedure--I just did mine last week. There is a drain bolt on the bottom and a fill plug on the side. Remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug, then drain the fluid into a pan. Once it is drained replace the plug and use a bottle pump to pump new RP synchromax in until it begins to run out the fill hole. That it is it. Now, the plugs take a 17mm allen wrench, which is very hard to find. What I did was take a 17mm socket to the hardware store and find a bolt that had a 17mm head. Then I tightened two nuts on each other at the end and simply stuck the head of the bolt into the plug and put a socket on the two nuts. This cost me about a buck--far cheaper than the cost of the 17mm allen wrench or bit.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Zoom By You

2001 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.4x4xplor.com/trannyservice.html

This is what you need....

2001 TJ Sport Amber Fire, Dual Tops/Dual Doors, 4.0, Banks Ram-Air, Banks S.S. Monster exhaust, five speed, NV3550, A.A. SYE/Tom Woods, 4:56 D30/D35, Detroit Truetrac at both ends, Solid diff covers, 4.5 R.E. Super Flex W/3.5 springs, adjustable upper and lower control arms, adjustable front and rear R.E. track bars, TeraFlex shock relocation brackets, R.E. Mono tube shocks, R.E. front stabilizer, R.E. 3/4" front spacer, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS, M/T Classic-locks, ShrockWorks Rock Rails, Hanson 52" front bumper, EPi9.0 Superwinch with wireless control, Olympic rear bumper, Olympic Mountaineer rack, Bushwacker 6" Pocket Flares, Optima yellow top, IPF headlights W/ Fatboys, upgraded relay/wiring harness, KC Slims, Bosch rear lights, Garmin c550 GPS, Garmin 76S GPS, Cobra CB 148GTL W/Astatic Mic, Pioneer Sound, 3A Racing fire extinguishers. Manhattan Rated....
post #5 of 9 Old 09-06-2007, 10:36 AM
SecondTJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts02
Now, the plugs take a 17mm allen wrench, which is very hard to find.
Sears carries it.

'98 Sport, 4.0, AX-15, D44, 3.73, stock w/ 10k original miles

Gone - 2000 Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 SE, 1998 XJ
post #6 of 9 Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Crashnburn80

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTJ
Sears carries it.
x2, thats where I bought mine (and about every other tool).

|
| 1.25" BL |
| Riddler diff covers |
| 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 |

and much more...

post #7 of 9 Old 09-06-2007, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Panici
(O|||||||O)

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom By You
Thanks! That really helps with pictures and all.

Thanks for all the help guys, i should get the change done this weekend. I'm pretty sure i have the 17mm allen wrench, but I will check my tools. So the only other special tool i'll need is a bottle pump then?

Cheers,
Kelvyn

_______
|_
_|
(OlllllllO)

post #8 of 9 Old 09-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Crashnburn80

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panici
So the only other special tool i'll need is a bottle pump then?
Correct. FYI - FSM specifies 2qts, but its really more like 2.3-2.5 to the fill hole.

|
| 1.25" BL |
| Riddler diff covers |
| 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 |

and much more...

post #9 of 9 Old 09-06-2007, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Panici
(O|||||||O)

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn80
Correct. FYI - FSM specifies 2qts, but its really more like 2.3-2.5 to the fill hole.
Yep, when i ordered, i checked with my fellow jeepforum'ers and i was told 3 quarts for the NV3550. I ordered 4 quarts, because the last thing i would need is for a bottle to fall over and then i'd have to pay the CRAZY border charges again for "importing hazerdous materials"

_______
|_
_|
(OlllllllO)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.