Changing Fuel Pump Assembly Soon - Best Brand/How To's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing Fuel Pump Assembly Soon - Best Brand/How To's?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Changing Fuel Pump Assembly Soon - Best Brand/How To's?

2002 4.0L TJ

Going to be changing my Fuel Pump Assembly soon, was wondering what brand people have had luck with. I work at a parts store and can get an Airtex Fuel Pump Module Assembly for cheaper than anywhere else due to discount but its not necessarily the price Im concerned about, I just want something good that will work, and last me a long time.

Also I have never done this job before but I am assuming it is not that difficult, anything I should be aware of and extra tools I might need? Thanks

catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty happy with the original Mopar pump that was installed in my Jeep at the factory over thirteen years ago.
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I went with the Airtex, it has 6k miles on it so far and still works good.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bosch, genuine Jeep, or Carter. You buy cheap, you buy twice. Airtex often fail after about 18 months.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I use mopar, the process of changing the pum isint bad. Try to run it low on fuel to save your back. Start spraying the bolts a few days out.
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Zakman
A locked & armored Sport

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just replaced mine about 2 weeks ago and went with a Mopar unit. The original one lasted 11 years, so that's hard to beat.
While you have the tank down, inspect, even replace all the evap lines and fuel filler & filler vent tubes while you're at it.
The only issue I had is getting the fuel filler and filler vent tubes up and squeezed in-between the the frame and tub.

Good luck.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z...-sport-671095/
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Use a brass mallet and a brass drift (heavy rod - about 3/8"-1/2" dia.) to unlock and relock the lock ring that retains the pump assembly!

You do not want sparks around there...
Unread 12-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

A good write up with loads of pics can be found on the http://dailydriventj.com/fuel_pump.shtml website with the title fuel pump repair.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 12-02-2012 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Changed link to go direct to the page now that I'm back on my computer.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
UnsanePyro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Bosch, genuine Jeep, or Carter. You buy cheap, you buy twice. Airtex often fail after about 18 months.
This.

Airtex I wouldn't touch.
SPI is hit or miss.
Carter/Bosch/OEM all seem to work really well.
UnsanePyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I went the Airtex Route Results not good Hard start issues that I didn't have before lived with that, At 8 months old pump failed with out warning & left Me in the middle of a busy 4 lane highway,Replaced with a Bosch from Carquest & the Bosch pump had a Mopar Part tag on it,So far it has been great no more hard start.
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
brianmlove
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Be sure to pull your fuel pump relay under the hood and try to start it a few time so you will
Clear all the fuel that is in the lines. If not expect to get a bath with gas when you remove the fuel line from the tank
brianmlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

A strap wrench works well on the lock ring.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
A good write up with loads of pics can be found on the http://dailydriventj.com/fuel_pump.shtml website with the title fuel pump repair.
Thanks for this awesome write-up, I will make sure to use this when im replaceing the pump saturday
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #14
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

And I ended up purchasing a Carter from RockAuto for $218 plus shipped

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.