Changing Differential Oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing Differential Oil

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-18-2005, 08:03 AM   #1
JEEPREBEL

Changing Differential Oil

I was wondering if it was possible to change the gear oil in the front and rear diffs with out taking the covers off. Could i use a suction device made for grese and pump it out? Or is it better to take the covers off and do it that way?

Thanks Chris

Unread 03-18-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
wayoflife

while it can be done and for whatever it's worht, that's how most oil change places do it, i wouldn't recommend it. pulling your diff covers give you a chance to inspect your gears and to make sure everything looks good. it will certianly allow for a more throuogh cleaning and it really isn't that hard to do.

Click here to see my Differential Fluid Change write-up

wayoflife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
BaaBaa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Take the covers off... there's no other way to be sure you've gotten all the fluid out for one. Also, you'll want to check the gears for wear, look at the inside of the housing for any metal shavings, and clean out the inside of the cover and diff. No point in putting fresh lube in there if you leave all the crud and a bit of old dirty lube in there as well.

Black 2000 TJ Sport
[B]Black Jeep Club Version 2.0 Member #66[/B]
BaaBaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
linux24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPREBEL
I was wondering if it was possible to change the gear oil in the front and rear diffs with out taking the covers off. Could i use a suction device made for grese and pump it out? Or is it better to take the covers off and do it that way?

Thanks Chris
Is it possible? Given enough time, money, and energy, anything is possible.

I wouldn't do it. Part of changing that fluid is spraying brake cleaner up in there to remove grime and grit from inside the gears, and wiping crud from inside the assembly as much as possible and the inside of the cover. It also is a chance to perform an inspection to see if you see filings in there.
linux24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
FlyersFan2009

I concur with the above posts.

Take the covers off and follow WayofLife's write up.

You should inspect the gears and check for metal in the bottom of the pumpkin.
FlyersFan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
BluesMan
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yup what they said.

It would be wize to read the write ups or FSM before you do this, if you have not done it before.

The project is one of the simplest to do.

I did this a couple of weeks ago and forgot to leave a couple of bolts connected at the top. Then went to take the cover off and it fell into the diff fluid below sending the stinking crap all over me and my garage.
Unread 03-18-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
JEEPREBEL

Honestly this was one of the easiest things Ive ever done to my jeep other than changin engine oil. Thanks Wayoflife the write up was really helpful.

Thanks, Chris
Unread 03-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
Ludoc

Dude... This is the WORST part of servicing my TJ. I hate taking the covers off. However, after much debate and listening to the peeps around here, I have just come to live with removing the covers. It seems like the best option. Do a search with my name and look for a thread about some diff covers I was going to buy with a drain plug in them. EVERYONE basically told me to just live with it. I tend to listen to experience. I tried the suck gun method. It... well, sucks. Take the covers off. Basically get it in your head. Prepare for it if you hate it like I do.

Ok... I am done ranting.
[size=+1][color=red][b][FONT=times new roman][u]RED 04' TJ - 2.4[/FONT][/b][/color][/size][/u] [color=black][b][font=times new roman]4 In Lift, 31" Courser M/Ts, 4.56 gears, JKS Discos, Aussie Auto Locker[/font][/color][/b]
Just a basic Jeep... nothing special.
Ludoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

One little tiny feature that Jeep didn't even advertize about the Rubicon makes me very happy. The front and rear D44's have magnetic drain plugs to drain the lube.

At 6000 miles I did remove the diff covers and spent some time cleaning out as much of the black stuff as I could get (it's oxide from the surface treatment). Since then I just pull both magnetic plugs and providing there is no metal debris on the plugs, drain and refill with lube. It saves time and no worries about a leak.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 08:00 PM   #10
JEEPREBEL

It wasnt too bad...the worst part was puttin the oil in the front diff (dont have a pump). So yeah it sucked.

Chris
Unread 03-18-2005, 08:30 PM   #11
Chile99

Next time you do the front diff, stop at the hardware store and buy 3 foot of clear plastic 3/8 inch flexible plastic tubing, put squueze bottle of diff fluid into one end of the tubing and the other end into the opening of the diff cover...........squeze.
Chile99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #12
BlueJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

SO what weight oil did you use and did you need the friction additive?
Unread 03-18-2005, 08:52 PM   #13
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

FSM call for 80W-90 or 75W-140 synthetic (the heavier if you tow or subject the axle to heavy use).

Friction modifer is used if you have a clutch pack LSD like the factory LSD option. Most gear lubes come with the friction modifier in them. Check the label to be sure.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #14
BlueJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

And what like 3 quarts I suppose?

Hey Stu, what brand is a good synthetic?
Unread 03-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #15
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I use Mobil1 myself. Redline makes a good synthetic gear lube.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/maint.htm gives you quantities for fluids among lots of other common maintenance info.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.