Changing diff cover gasket and front gasket on diff - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing diff cover gasket and front gasket on diff

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 10-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
Laxstar46

Changing diff cover gasket and front gasket on diff

Ok guys my 97 TJ is in need of a wee bit of differential help. She was obviously driven in the sand by the previous owner and the wash jobs afterwards were so so. Basically heres the deal. The rear differential leaks at the cover from the gasket. the front differential leaks from the front seal where the front driveshaft goes in. I plan to replace those two but i figure i might as well do the seal wehre driveshaft goes into rear and the gasket for the cover on the front. Matter of time b4 they start to leak too. I don't think this should be too hard. Me and my pops i think will work on it this weekend since he will be home and i can borrow the sierra to get around if the jeep takes me longer than expected. I know that i really need to pay attention to changing the front seals of the differentials because torqueing them wrong can cause the diff to be damaged. Other than being careful is there anything else i need to worry about

Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about the seal between the cover and the differential? I suggest you take off the cover, scrape off any excess RTV with a gasket scraper... and then use Permatex Ultra Black RTV and torque it to 30 ft/lbs.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Laxstar46

Yea the seal between the cover and differential also the seal that is at the (front or rear whichever way u look at it) where the driveshaft meets with the diff. The seal back in there leaks on my front diff
Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.