Changing clutch fluid and what fluid to use. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing clutch fluid and what fluid to use.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
RedDawn
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Changing clutch fluid and what fluid to use.

Hi folks,

I did some searches and couldn't find an exact match. I'm looking to change the clutch fluid in my TJ. I don't have a bleeder and wanted to use a similar process as what is seen in this video and listed below (starts at 3m55s). Is this possible?

Also, what fluid should I use (DOT3)? I didn't see any reference in the owners manual.

Thanks.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBbsy0LjUvE[/YT]

Step 1
Inspect the fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir. If it’s not clear and clean move to step (2).

Step 2
Change the fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir.
(a) Draw out the discolored fluid with a syringe, keeping the corrosive fluid off your paint.
(b) Wipe down the reservoir and the diaphragm on the cap, using a clean, lint-free towel.
(c) Locate the fill-line in or on the reservoir.
(d) Refill the reservoir to just below the fill-line with fresh fluid specified in your owner’s manual. Do not over-fill. If the reservoir has both minimum and maximum marks, suggest filling to the midpoint.
(e) Clean the diaphragm if dirty and properly seat it on the reservoir cap.
(f) Replace the reservoir cap snugly.

Step 3
With the engine off, pump the clutch pedal full-top to full-bottom to full-top 30 times. This action causes fluid in the clutch hydraulics to circulate, blending the new and old fluid, and revealing the color of the blend. It also helps scour residue from the actuator (slave) and displace upward into the reservoir any air trapped in the hydraulics. Alternatively, you can drive the car 5-10 miles.

Step 4
Then, re-inspect the blended fluid in the reservoir. If it is totally clear and shows zero murkiness, you are finished. If it's not, restart at (2). Continue to change the fluid as many times as needed, with the full, slow top-to-bottom-to-top pedal pumps between changes, until it remains absolutely clear and clean. Getting the fluid clean the first time is the hard part.

Step 5
Next come the easy part, keeping it clean. Re-inspect the clutch fluid each time you add gasoline or prepare for spirited driving, including the track. If it is not still clear and clean, restart at Step-2. Usually will take only two or three swaps to get the fluid pristine again.

RedDawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
xantasm
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Clutch fluid is brake fluid, although you can sometimes find stores that sell bottles labeled clutch fluid. Unless your vehicle calls for a special type which Jeep Wranglers do not, DOT 3 or above will work.

Here is a page to explain it in a lot more detail:

http://www.rc-trucks.org/manual-tran...utch-fluid.htm

As far as bleeding its a hydraulic throwout bearing set up, here is how I would do it.

1. This is best done as a two man job, one inside the cab pumping the clutch pedal and the other filling the reservoir and bleeding the line.

2. Empty the fluid reservoir, and clean it as best as you can.

3. Fill the reservoir with new fluid, put the cap back on.

4. Go underneath the Jeep and locate the hydraulic clutch throwout bearing bleeder valve.

5. Have your partner pump the clutch till they feel pressure building up (its not an exact science) and hold the pedal all the way to the floor.

6. Release the pressure by loosing the bleeder valve and let the fluid squirt out untill it appears there is no more pressure. Close the bleeder valve. The point of this is to work out any air bubbles by pressurising the line and then releasing the pressure through the bleeder valve.

7. With the clutch pedal still held to the floor (this makes for a tired leg by the way) open the reservoir and refill the fluid that was lost through the line and bleeder valve.

8. Repeat steps 3-7 untill no audible or visible signs of air bubbles or air in the line are noticed when releasing the bleeder valve. Also get confirmation from your pal in the drivers seat that youve accomplished good pressure on the clutch when the pedal is pushed in and out. If not keep repeating the steps listed.

This is the traditional way of bleeding a brake or clutch system, if your good at them you can use a bleeder kit, but I prefer to just make a mess and get it done which by the way be prepared for this to get brake fluid everwhere
Unread 05-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
smithtime09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i'm pretty sure I need to do this, do you have a picture of the hydraulic clutch throwout bearing bleeder valve
Unread 05-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
xantasm
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtime09 View Post
i'm pretty sure I need to do this, do you have a picture of the hydraulic clutch throwout bearing bleeder valve
I have to amend that last post cause I forgot they changed the hydraulic clutch set up in the late 90's on the Jeep Wranglers.

Short simple answer to bleed the clutch on a hydraulic system without an external bleeder valve which the newer ones have is:

1. Have someone sitting in the driver seat ready to push the clutch in and out.

2. Pop the cap on the reservoir if you havent done this already to clean it out, and make sure its filled with fluid.

3. Continuosly pump the clutch pedal looking for air bubbles to rise up from the bottom of the reservoir. Make sure if the fluid level gets low to pour more in but beware of backflow from the pedal being pushed to the floor and a solid pressurized feel to the clutch pedal simular to what you get from the brake pedal.

4. This is going to take a while so be patient, there is no set number of times to push the clutch in. What your looking for is for there to be little to no air bubbles rising up from the bottom of the reservoir when the clutch pedal is pushed in and out.
Unread 05-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
smithtime09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantasm View Post
I have to amend that last post cause I forgot they changed the hydraulic clutch set up in the late 90's on the Jeep Wranglers.

Short simple answer to bleed the clutch on a hydraulic system without an external bleeder valve which the newer ones have is:

1. Have someone sitting in the driver seat ready to push the clutch in and out.

2. Pop the cap on the reservoir if you havent done this already to clean it out, and make sure its filled with fluid.

3. Continuosly pump the clutch pedal looking for air bubbles to rise up from the bottom of the reservoir. Make sure if the fluid level gets low to pour more in but beware of backflow from the pedal being pushed to the floor and a solid pressurized feel to the clutch pedal simular to what you get from the brake pedal.

4. This is going to take a while so be patient, there is no set number of times to push the clutch in. What your looking for is for there to be little to no air bubbles rising up from the bottom of the reservoir when the clutch pedal is pushed in and out.
Alright thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.