Changing Automatic Shift Knob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing Automatic Shift Knob

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Changing Automatic Shift Knob

I would lke to get a new shifter knob for an Automatic Transmission along with a Knob for my 4WD shifter. Did the whole search thing havent see a post lik this in about 2 to 4 years and no good answers were found. Did see some sweet knobs for a manual. Anyone got any clues would this be a custom thing? Also how do you get it off was checking it out didn't see and set screws or anything?

deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

To get the automatic off, just pull up. It may take a lot of force and may pop off. There are aftermarket automatic handles. You can see a lot on ebay. You just need a button to press on the rod in the handle. I got a silver billett auto handle from Pep Boys for 20.00 or so. The hole in the handle was not big enough so I had to make it bigger. I also put a wooden dowel in the handle so I could mount it higher.

Quadrarec has handles for the shifter and 4x4 selector from Drake. (I don't like the way they look)
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
bigsky006667
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you replace the plastic "stick" that fits inside the shifter, you can fabricate any type of knob for the shifter. I had to do it because the plastic stick in the shifter broke on me last year. I replaced it with a piece of plastic coat hanger and placed a golf ball on top for the shifter. All you have to do is depress the ball to shift gears.
bigsky006667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
imfrompa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky006667 View Post
If you replace the plastic "stick" that fits inside the shifter, you can fabricate any type of knob for the shifter. I had to do it because the plastic stick in the shifter broke on me last year. I replaced it with a piece of plastic coat hanger and placed a golf ball on top for the shifter. All you have to do is depress the ball to shift gears.

Big sky can we see some pics.... sounds cool
imfrompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
bigsky006667
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I will try to get some pics up if I can. Can I post pics with a standard account? I do not have a premium account.
bigsky006667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
TJ_Jerry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky006667 View Post
I will try to get some pics up if I can. Can I post pics with a standard account? I do not have a premium account.
You need something like 25 posts in the tech section before you can post pictures. You also have to have like a photobucket account and you actually just link to that.
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Im also intristed what knobs are made for an auto, anybody know any companies?
APEDZ04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
MFortie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Drake Offroad Drake Off Road: Aftermarket Automotive Parts
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
VTJeePTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Also interested in this. Something I have been wanting to do for a while
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Forget about it... I tried to search for a replacement years ago... Bottom line is that nothing will work as practical as the OEM knob and all the aftermarket knobs don't look that good.

However I came across some cool nice cool looking knobs for the Mustang but I'm not sure they would fit/work on TJ's. And if you do change it please do show us what you got

I ended up just replacing the shift indicator plate with a manual shift boot
image044.jpg  
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
tulman22

2005 TJ Wrangler 

^ that actually looks good. Do that and replace with a cooler handle would be a killer setup.
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
imfrompa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Does the Drake auto handle have the button sticking up 1/2" all the time... is it hard to depress? My tranny is screwed up and I have to manually down shift at every stop, so I shift a lot. Function over looks is important. The manual boot looks cool TJ00, but there is no way to see what gear you are in, and I have to check all the time(habit? OCD? who knows).

Anyone know about the drake button?
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfrompa View Post
Does the Drake auto handle have the button sticking up 1/2" all the time... is it hard to depress? My tranny is screwed up and I have to manually down shift at every stop, so I shift a lot. Function over looks is important. The manual boot looks cool TJ00, but there is no way to see what gear you are in, and I have to check all the time(habit? OCD? who knows).

Anyone know about the drake button?
Thanks ... But what are you talking about?? You only have three shifting positions you can tell even with your eyes closed
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
Thanks ... But what are you talking about?? You only have three shifting positions you can tell even with your eyes closed
My 2000 Sport has 6 positions with the 32RH...
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
imfrompa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
But I always put it in neutral when I'm texting and driving... it never fails. Maybe, I'm just looking for that 4th gear I don't have.

But I do like the idea... if I find a boot I'm gonna try it.

Tags
sift knob , swap , replace , replacing , tj , wrangler , automatic

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.