JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Changing Automatic Shift Knob (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/changing-automatic-shift-knob-1073946/)

deerassassin22 07-21-2010 07:27 PM

Changing Automatic Shift Knob

I would lke to get a new shifter knob for an Automatic Transmission along with a Knob for my 4WD shifter. Did the whole search thing havent see a post lik this in about 2 to 4 years and no good answers were found. Did see some sweet knobs for a manual. Anyone got any clues would this be a custom thing? Also how do you get it off was checking it out didn't see and set screws or anything?

Neil F. 07-22-2010 04:43 AM

To get the automatic off, just pull up. It may take a lot of force and may pop off. There are aftermarket automatic handles. You can see a lot on ebay. You just need a button to press on the rod in the handle. I got a silver billett auto handle from Pep Boys for 20.00 or so. The hole in the handle was not big enough so I had to make it bigger. I also put a wooden dowel in the handle so I could mount it higher.

Quadrarec has handles for the shifter and 4x4 selector from Drake. (I don't like the way they look)

bigsky006667 07-22-2010 10:17 PM

If you replace the plastic "stick" that fits inside the shifter, you can fabricate any type of knob for the shifter. I had to do it because the plastic stick in the shifter broke on me last year. I replaced it with a piece of plastic coat hanger and placed a golf ball on top for the shifter. All you have to do is depress the ball to shift gears.

imfrompa 07-30-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsky006667 (Post 9835667)
If you replace the plastic "stick" that fits inside the shifter, you can fabricate any type of knob for the shifter. I had to do it because the plastic stick in the shifter broke on me last year. I replaced it with a piece of plastic coat hanger and placed a golf ball on top for the shifter. All you have to do is depress the ball to shift gears.

Big sky can we see some pics.... sounds cool

bigsky006667 07-31-2010 08:32 AM

I will try to get some pics up if I can. Can I post pics with a standard account? I do not have a premium account.

TJ_Jerry 07-31-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsky006667 (Post 9881485)
I will try to get some pics up if I can. Can I post pics with a standard account? I do not have a premium account.

You need something like 25 posts in the tech section before you can post pictures. You also have to have like a photobucket account and you actually just link to that.

APEDZ04LJ 07-31-2010 09:02 AM

Im also intristed what knobs are made for an auto, anybody know any companies?

MFortie 07-31-2010 09:12 AM

Drake Offroad Drake Off Road: Aftermarket Automotive Parts

VTJeePTJ 07-31-2010 09:14 AM

Also interested in this. Something I have been wanting to do for a while :thumbsup:

TeeJay00 07-31-2010 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forget about it... I tried to search for a replacement years ago... Bottom line is that nothing will work as practical as the OEM knob and all the aftermarket knobs don't look that good.

However I came across some cool nice cool looking knobs for the Mustang but I'm not sure they would fit/work on TJ's. And if you do change it please do show us what you got :)

I ended up just replacing the shift indicator plate with a manual shift boot ;)

tulman22 07-31-2010 10:56 AM

^ that actually looks good. Do that and replace with a cooler handle would be a killer setup.

imfrompa 08-01-2010 02:46 PM

Does the Drake auto handle have the button sticking up 1/2" all the time... is it hard to depress? My tranny is screwed up and I have to manually down shift at every stop, so I shift a lot. Function over looks is important. The manual boot looks cool TJ00, but there is no way to see what gear you are in, and I have to check all the time(habit? OCD? who knows).

Anyone know about the drake button?

TeeJay00 08-01-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imfrompa (Post 9887034)
Does the Drake auto handle have the button sticking up 1/2" all the time... is it hard to depress? My tranny is screwed up and I have to manually down shift at every stop, so I shift a lot. Function over looks is important. The manual boot looks cool TJ00, but there is no way to see what gear you are in, and I have to check all the time(habit? OCD? who knows).

Anyone know about the drake button?

Thanks :wave:... But what are you talking about?? You only have three shifting positions you can tell even with your eyes closed :thumbsup:

Knuckelhead 08-01-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeJay00 (Post 9887093)
Thanks :wave:... But what are you talking about?? You only have three shifting positions you can tell even with your eyes closed :thumbsup:

My 2000 Sport has 6 positions with the 32RH...:shhh:

imfrompa 08-01-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeJay00 (Post 9887093)

But I always put it in neutral when I'm texting and driving... it never fails. Maybe, I'm just looking for that 4th gear I don't have.

But I do like the idea... if I find a boot I'm gonna try it.

The time now is 02:41 PM.