Changing All my Fluids... Got a few Questions! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing All my Fluids... Got a few Questions!

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!GenRight Offroad at CCOR! 706-207-4140Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 07-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
roktsintst
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Changing All my Fluids... Got a few Questions!

HI.

I've got a 98 4.0 Wrangler. I bought it about 2 weeks ago from a guy who hadn't ran it in a year. I want to replace all the fluids just so i know what is in there! It has already had the radiator pulled out and pressure flushed because it was full of crap, the oil has been changed as well. The Power steering fluid looks good from the dip stick so i was gonna leave that alone too.

I want to drain and replace the Tranny fluid, transfer case, and both diff. fluids...

I got the haynes Jeep Book but I still have a few questions...

It says to use SAE 75/90 gear lub for the Tranny. I was thinking of getting some Royal Purple Manual transmission fluid instead... Is this ok or should i just get the Royal purple 75/90 fluid? I just heard that Royal Purple was the best and For a few bucks, i thought I would add that...???

Transfer Case - will any ATF work?

Diff... It doesn't say how much??? And Should that also be 75/90 Gear lub?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great!!!

roktsintst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

this link should answer all your questions.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...cities-489932/
Unread 07-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This link should help
Common TJ Maintenance Info

As for how much fluid you can put in the diff, fill it up until it starts coming out the hole.
Unread 07-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like you need to bookmark Stu Olsen's site;

Stu Olson's Jeep TJ Web Site - N7QJP

AX-15 Manual Transmission Service

Differential Service
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
roktsintst
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OK Cool! Great Links!

So, is the RedLine MTL/90 essentially the same thing as the Royal purple 75/90 Gear Lub?
Unread 07-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Jeepili
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hi roktsintst,

I am not sure if the length of time sitting matters which I will leave to the experts but I have change most of my fluids to Royal Purple. I wasn't able to determine if you are using auto or manual. I am using manual. This is what I use:

Transmission: Synchromax
Transfer Case: Synchromax
Diffs: Max-Gear 75W-90
Oil: RP 10W-30
Filter: RP
Radiator: Purple Ice

Later on when I flush my power steering I will replace it with Max EZ.

All of this can be expensive but look for sales. Most places will price match competitors which saves driving. Recently I was able to buy 4 qts. of oil and the filter for $40. I bought double for the next time.

The other stuff I bought at the local 4Wheelparts store. They gave me a big discount compared to Pepboys and Checkers here. It was about $4 a bottle difference.

To find out what my Jeep had, I took my VIN to the dealer and they printed out the specs of all the parts and options.

Look on page 1-2 of the Haynes manual. It will show capacities.

I hope that helps!
Jeepili is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Jeepili
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I meant to add that if you do the VIN bit then you can send those specs to Royal Purple and they will reply with recommendations. That is what I did and they were extremely helpful.
Jeepili is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
roktsintst
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome!!! Thanks. and yes, I have a manual Transmission! I'll get that stuff in the next few days and get it done!
Unread 07-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a couple thoughts to consider, if you are going to wheel this Jeep, going with a high $$ lube like Royal Purple in the diffs maybe a waste of $$. Seems that my diff covers come off on a regular bases, water crossing, repairs, etc., so for me, the lube in my diffs doesn't last long anyway.

Also, the OEM radiators are known to rush from the inside out, so the flush maybe only a temporary fix. If you are not careful, the junk from the radiator will plug the heater core.

If you haven't already joined a good 4x4 Club in your area, you need to do so. You will meet a lot of good people, and you will learn a lot. Sometimes the best thing you can be is a wrench boy for someone. If you have an issue with your Jeep, do a search. You will probably find the solution to the problem as well as a step by step write up that walks you thru the repair process. Stu's Web site is good, but there are others. I have also found some write ups on this site that were second to none.
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Change your brake fluid.
Get an OEM FSM...
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #11
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Change your brake fluid.
Get an OEM FSM...

Factory Service Manuals are great...... However, they assume that the mechanic is a skilled professional, not a guy learning to turn a wrench.
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktsintst View Post
I got the haynes Jeep Book but I still have a few questions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Factory Service Manuals are great...... However, they assume that the mechanic is a skilled professional, not a guy learning to turn a wrench.
One hell of a lot better than a haynes POS...
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
BJN644
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know this has been debated in previous post, but the recommended lubricant for the AX15 has been changed to 10w30 motor oil. It's even listed inh the Quadratech catalog as the AX15 tranny lube. Not saying it's the best, just the newest recommendation. I've had it in mine for several thousand miles now with no problems.
BJN644 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fluid , maintenance , gear oil , gear lube

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.