Change axle fluid every 12K ?!?!? ...and other maint. questions - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Change axle fluid every 12K ?!?!? ...and other maint. questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #46
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

What are the torque specs for the fill and drain plugs for the 6spd NSG370

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Currie Control Arms Install Tips
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
UncleWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #47
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Update from OP here. 05' LJ has 47K and yesterday I changed the rear diff oil, the front diff oil and the NSG370 oil ....as well as greasing all seven fittings of the front end (including the two for the upper ball joints that you have to unload the suspension to get to). Status = All old gear oil was VERY dirty and the drain plug of the tranny was maxed out on fine metal shavings (it looked just like the pics I've seen other members show in here). I bought the 3-pack of 12, 14, 17mm hex sockets from Autozone for $10.99 and they worked very well, just used lots of solid pressure with a long breakover bar (push up onto the bolt firmly as you attempt to loosen it). Also as many others stated, it appears the factory did not put in enough tranny gear oil ....like one quart came out.

I used Penzoil Synchromesh and it definitely shifts smoother, albeit that may be more due to now having a full case. The PS was at Advanced for $7.50/qt and it is the equivalent of many other synchromesh fluids as quote-noted in my previous post. To the last poster, I'm not sure of the torque on those bolts but I used pipe thread on the drain bolt and didn't tighten it more than ~25 lbs or so ...no leaks. For the fill bolt, it's just a fill bolt ...as long as it's "snug" it will be fine.

Thanks to all for your advice and help.
05Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #48
RedScare
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmilitia View Post

anyone know of a way to just completely drain all the Trans fluid out?
Yeah pull the pan.
RedScare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #49
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScare View Post
Yeah pull the pan.
You still got 4qts in the torque converter. There is no easy way to "drain" all the fluid in an automatic tranny. It can be flushed pretty easy if you get some hoses & plug em in and use the tranny pump to do the flushing.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greasing , grease , zerks , axle , fluid , change , wrangler , lj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.