Change axle fluid every 12K ?!?!? ...and other maint. questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Change axle fluid every 12K ?!?!? ...and other maint. questions

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Change axle fluid every 12K ?!?!? ...and other maint. questions

It's a 2005 LJ with 4.0 and 6-speed. The owner's manual says the transmission fluid never needs to be changed (my reverse falls out of gear and grinds quite often so I may try a different fluid), the t-case needs changed every 30K ....and the rear (and even the front!) axle fluid needs "drained and refilled every 12K". Seriously?!? Most vehicles I've had before only require a level-check and top-off (if necessary) ....what's the problem here? There isn't even a drain plug, do I have to change gaskets every time? Should I get an aftermarket cover that has a drain plug? Should I try a different (ie. synthetic) gear oil that won't need to be changed? Just seems like a bit of a PITA.

Also, I've never "lubed" before even though I've always done my own oil changes ...and I see the front steering and what not has a lot of fittings for a grease gun. Manual says to do that every oil change too. Is it as simple as getting a grease gun and using a multi-purpose grease? Just push the gun on the nipple and squeeze ..but how do you know when it's full? Sorry for such ignorance there.

05Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll admit, I've never changed the tranny or diff oil. I would recommended it though. When I replace the clutch I'll change the tranny oil since I'll be up there, guess I should change the diff fluid as well... 30k seems a bit much for diff oil, but you should check frequently (especially after offroading in water) for water contamination. I'm not sure about what type of oils to use though.

I'll also be honest again and say I'm horrible about greasing, but all you do is get a grease gun and grease then pump it in until grease comes out another crack or the zirk fitting. For grease, I would recommend Green Grease.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

OP, your Jeep is 5 years old. Change the brake fluid also...
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
OP, your Jeep is 5 years old. Change the brake fluid also...
lol ok. Seriously though is this "every 12K" thing just an abundance of caution or something? ...hell I hardly even use the front axle so why would I need to change it every 12K? The rear being a posi and being used all the time I can see changing once in awhile ...but still, every 12K? .....oh, btw my 05' only has 46K miles.
Unread 08-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

TTT, just wondering what others do. Do you all really change axle fluid every 12K?

BTW, I apparently have a problem with my reverse syncro, it "falls out of gear" and grinds sometimes. Is there a tranny fluid that might alleviate this some? Thanks.

Edit:I did a search and see that there are ways around the reverse issue. Royal Purple Synchromax gear oil or Amsoil (not sure of grades) can help. Also, "resetting the clutch" before engaging reverse can help (put it in neutral, push clutch in, then reverse). My other gears work fine, 2nd does the typical slightly rough engagement and everything else works beautifully. I may try the Royal Purple.

Last edited by 05Unlimited; 08-07-2010 at 02:50 PM..
Unread 08-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
pfifer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well I change my tranny fluid every 8,000 miles, transfer case every 8,000 miles, front and rear diffs every 8,000 miles, change oil every 4,000 miles, and grease every month. This is because i wheel where mud and water are all over the place.

But you should follow what the service manual says and change your fluids when it says too. There is a reason that the people at jeep put those service charts in the manuals. And no 12,000 miles between diff changes isn't over-kill at all, unless you want to smell rotted eggs when you leave your gear oil sitting in there for 30,000 miles. And IMO I'd rather spend 20 min and $20 changing gear oil, then spending $1500 on rebuilding the diffs because I didnt change the gear oil.
pfifer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Unlimited View Post
TTT, just wondering what others do. Do you all really change axle fluid every 12K?

BTW, I apparently have a problem with my reverse syncro, it "falls out of gear" and grinds sometimes. Is there a tranny fluid that might alleviate this some? Thanks.

Edit:I did a search and see that there are ways around the reverse issue. Royal Purple Synchromax gear oil or Amsoil (not sure of grades) can help. Also, "resetting the clutch" before engaging reverse can help (put it in neutral, push clutch in, then reverse). My other gears work fine, 2nd does the typical slightly rough engagement and everything else works beautifully. I may try the Royal Purple.

Every 30k is just fine on your diffs, tranny, xfer case. I wouldn't change em every 12k either...that's HS. I would change em every time I submerged them in water though.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How long do yoou want your jeep to last? Your call.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMPC View Post
How long do yoou want your jeep to last? Your call.
10.5 yrs, 126k on the diffs & xfer case so far, oh the tranny had a bearing go to **** even following the manual for the oil changes so I guess pretty long if I change em when it's needed.
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
pfifer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
10.5 yrs, 126k on the diffs & xfer case so far, oh the tranny had a bearing go to **** even following the manual for the oil changes so I guess pretty long if I change em when it's needed.
That's way too long for not changing fluids. It may run now but by not maintaining the parts on your jeep your slowly shortening the lifetime of those parts. It's cheap to change diff and tcase fluids, so I don't see why you would run it for that long, with out changing.
pfifer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The reason for the shorter drains for the diffs is the lighter materila it's made out of and synthetic gear oil.You can go to about 30k-60k with dino gear oil(85w-140).
Unread 08-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfifer View Post
That's way too long for not changing fluids. It may run now but by not maintaining the parts on your jeep your slowly shortening the lifetime of those parts. It's cheap to change diff and tcase fluids, so I don't see why you would run it for that long, with out changing.
Well my # 1 reason is my manual says 30k for changes. The last 2 times I changed the ft. diff & xfer case fluid the fluid looked just like the fluid I put back in it. The rear & tranny did need replacing after 30k.

It's gonna be a very long time before I have to change the fluids in any of em now since it's no longer a daily driver.
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfifer View Post
Well I change my tranny fluid every 8,000 miles, transfer case every 8,000 miles, front and rear diffs every 8,000 miles, change oil every 4,000 miles, and grease every month. This is because i wheel where mud and water are all over the place.

But you should follow what the service manual says and change your fluids when it says too. There is a reason that the people at jeep put those service charts in the manuals. And no 12,000 miles between diff changes isn't over-kill at all, unless you want to smell rotted eggs when you leave your gear oil sitting in there for 30,000 miles. And IMO I'd rather spend 20 min and $20 changing gear oil, then spending $1500 on rebuilding the diffs because I didnt change the gear oil.
I don't mind doing the work at all, just don't want to do it if it's not really needed (like the one poster saying the old gear oil looked just like the new). Also, since I don't 4x4 much, doesn't seen sensible to change the front diff every 12K ....make sense?

I bought some Royal Purple for the 6-speed trans, it's 75w/90 ....is this ok? It didn't say "synchromax" but it was a high perf gear oil anyway ($19.99 / Qt). I notice the hex/allen bolts are HUGE!! ...anyone know what size they are? One more question, do I have to change gaskets every time I drain and fill the axles? ...there is no drain bolt. Arghhhh, one last question .....what weight/type of gear oil do I use in the front and rear diffs? ...the manual doesn't really say. I have the dana 60 with trak lock in rear and dana 30 up front.
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Many newer model vehicles are running 75W140 synthetic and they are considered, "lifetime" fluids unless you develop a leak.
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #15
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

On the 05 LJ the front shafts are always spinning even if you are not in 4wd. That was what allowed Jeep to get away from lock out hubs and get rid of the Central Axle Disconnect in earlier Dana 30's. It destroys gas mileage.

As far as the bolts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ns...change-506637/
There is a lot out there about the NSG370 transmission - just search this site under NSG370

I am no expert, but I am pretty sure you need the Synchromax or similar for the tranny.

look at getting new diff covers or use silicone

Tags
greasing , grease , zerks , axle , fluid , change , wrangler , lj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.