Champion 3 row aluminum radiator (review) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Champion 3 row aluminum radiator (review)

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #16
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
What was the cost of the radiator?....
They're on eBay for $200...

87 88 89 90 91-06 Jeep Wrangler 3 Row Champion Radiator : eBay Motors (item 110483914016 end time Jan-29-10 19:19:22 PST)

Unread 01-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #17
tshively
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just installed one of these. The radiator cost $199+$20? freight. I went ahead and used the flex-lite electric fan that the previous owner installed. It is a very tight fit. I have played with the flex-lite electric fan and the factory mechanical fan and IMO the factory (mechanical) fan moves way more air. We will see how it goes I am quite sure the mechanical fan will be going on for good.
tshively is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #18
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I paid $220 for the radiator, $20 for the fan, and $35 FedEx shipping.

Quote:
Nice, where's the shroud? Not many know how incredibly important the shroud is to proper cooling since it forces air through the radiator and prevents the air from just spilling off the tips of the fan blades. Poor cooling/hotter running engines are often nothing more than a damaged/torn shroud, let alone one that isn't even there.
Hmm, I'm sure if I starting thinking about it for a few days I'll come up with some way to make a shroud with some sheet metal and a few correctly placed bends, cuts, and bolts.

As of right now though, 70 degree weather the temp is just fine siting still around 10-15 bellow normal temp of 210 (still estimating with stock gauge) and the fan has not turned on once unless I idle it for 5 min then it turns on for a minute or two and off again for another 5.
sergeantspud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #19
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you...
Unread 01-31-2010, 01:40 AM   #20
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba3200 View Post
I have a flex-a-lite and any mph over 30 mph it shuts off. If you have to run your electric fan @ hwy speeds even in the summer you might have an issue somewhere in the cooling system. In the summer and on the freeway and with A/C on the fan might stay on a mile or so after I approach hwy speeds. I dont know what a Tarus fan pulls cfm wise but mine is 3300 and I never have any problem. I also tow a 1500 load sometimes and it is fine. Somekind of shroud is very important for air flow at slow speeds.
I guess it's possible I have a problem in my cooling system, but it made sense to me that since my engine is working harder at a constant rate, and pushing so much air with that flat grill and windshield, that it would start to warm up. But I'm no air flow scientist, that just made sense to me.

BTW did you have an aluminum radiator?
Unread 01-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #21
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

No I have a 3 core all metal radiator barn one going strong for 3 years now. I am just commenting on how my set-up works. No scientist here. I just looked at a Tarus fan, 2 small fans I believe and it seems to me that the 17 inch single fan I have covers more of the rediator than two of the smaller fans. The flex-a-lite comes mounted in a shroud so to speak. It just seems that at hwy speeds you just dont need a fan with all the air coming through. I always keep an eye on my A/C condensor in front or the radiator....that it dosent get too bent up restricting the air flow to the radiator. With this cold weather we have been having I can run around all day and the fan never kicks on till I park the jeep and then it runs a bit till the rad is cooled off.
Bubba3200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 04:19 AM   #22
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished a complete tank of gas and calculated out to 1mpg increase! From 14.3 to 15.2 mostly highway (55mph) but some city (I didn't sit in any traffic) oh and some mountain driving. More than I thought it would be. The electric fan hasn't come on yet unless I'm sitting in a drive through or just idling. Also, put in the other switch and LED status light. Will keep you update for when I sort out a way to make a shroud.
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #23
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is ironic. I just bought one on the 1st after having a leaking Novak aluminum radiator for 3 years.

It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. It looks very high quality (better than the one I have now), and they seem to have pride in what they do. Got mine off of ebay - they have awesome feedback on there.

I installed a flex fan from Summit when I put my Novak in (it's over 3" wide), so I think that will work just fine with the radiator - it doesn't look as wide as the Novak.

I'm excited...I actually get to DRIVE my heep again. Imagine that.
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #24
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeantspud View Post
So after 150k miles my stock radiator started leaking and started the search for a new radiator. Now as a background I did have some problems over heating, but only with the worst of the worst situation like doing 3k rpm at 75mph in 105 degree heat with the A/C on. So I figure in order to counter that I'd like an upgraded radiator instead of the stock OEM replacement.

I've looked around on here for hours and have seen someone bought a Silla 2 row aluminum radiator and I liked it but the thing that sold me on the Champion one is that the fill neck is billet welded and not stamped in. Also I saw that it was mentioned on here that 3 row is bad... but I took the chance anyways.

After putting it in and replacing coolant, hoses, and thermostat (stock temp 195) I drove it around for a few hours down the freeway and all around town and the temp stuck around 10degrees cooler according to the stock temp gauge with mechanical fan. So far it seems to be working good.

Along with the radiator, I also got an electric fan and hooked that up yesterday it turns on at 200 and off at 180 and seems to work awesome hoping for better highway milage but I'll find out soon.

(last time I posted pics they were blocked to lower members I apologize for all the links)

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0507.jpg
The welds are actually pretty nice looking.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0509.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0515.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0506.jpg
Picture of the mounts that I made, they fit quite well.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0514.jpg
The mounted fan

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0518.jpg
Another of the mounted fan

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0519.jpg
The switch that is a "manual off" I will be adding a "manual on" and a LED light to show when the fan is on or off.

And heres a link to an album with the rest of the pictures
Radiator pictures by sergeantspud - Photobucket

Sooo questions comments?

Can you do me a favor and measure from the fan pulley mounting surface to your radiator fins? I may need to get a shorter pulley spacer for me flex fan. Mine is a 1" spacer to fit my current novak radiator
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #25
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am on a search for a new radiator. I know I don't want the factory plastic/aluminum (that is the source of my leak now). What else do I need to look for? What is the advantage to the 3 row. If it makes the car run cooler than factory, wouldn't that cause other problems?
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #26
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is where I got mine, it's $5 cheaper:

ALUMINUM 3 ROW RADIATOR 1987-06 JEEP WRANGLER CC2101 : eBay Motors (item 200387092139 end time Feb-19-10 23:36:51 PST)
Unread 02-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #27
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just a side note - I got mine today. I don't put crap on my jeep, and this radiator appears to be very high quality. the welds look very good, there is no epoxy (which is more than I can say for the Novak), and the radiator bolted right up. For those with stock fans, you might have to go with a flex fan or an electrical fan. I am very happy, and it was a full $200 less than the novak aluminum radiator I had in, and much higher quality. I am a happy camper.
Unread 02-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #28
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Same here still running very strong with no leaks. Just wanted to add to Greg's post that I originally had my stock fan shroud and fan bolted up and it worked find with all stock mounts pre-threaded in the radiator.
Unread 02-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #29
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Volkman View Post
For those with stock fans, you might have to go with a flex fan or an electrical fan.
Umm... how come?
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #30
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Umm... how come?
I'm gonna venture to say it's thicker...

Greg, what's the thickness of that radiator?
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aluminum , install , jeep , radiator , review , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.