Champion 3 row aluminum radiator (review) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Champion 3 row aluminum radiator (review)

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Champion 3 row aluminum radiator (review)

So after 150k miles my stock radiator started leaking and started the search for a new radiator. Now as a background I did have some problems over heating, but only with the worst of the worst situation like doing 3k rpm at 75mph in 105 degree heat with the A/C on. So I figure in order to counter that I'd like an upgraded radiator instead of the stock OEM replacement.

I've looked around on here for hours and have seen someone bought a Silla 2 row aluminum radiator and I liked it but the thing that sold me on the Champion one is that the fill neck is billet welded and not stamped in. Also I saw that it was mentioned on here that 3 row is bad... but I took the chance anyways.

After putting it in and replacing coolant, hoses, and thermostat (stock temp 195) I drove it around for a few hours down the freeway and all around town and the temp stuck around 10degrees cooler according to the stock temp gauge with mechanical fan. So far it seems to be working good.

Along with the radiator, I also got an electric fan and hooked that up yesterday it turns on at 200 and off at 180 and seems to work awesome hoping for better highway milage but I'll find out soon.

(last time I posted pics they were blocked to lower members I apologize for all the links)

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0507.jpg
The welds are actually pretty nice looking.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0509.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0515.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0506.jpg
Picture of the mounts that I made, they fit quite well.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0514.jpg
The mounted fan

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0518.jpg
Another of the mounted fan

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/DSCN0519.jpg
The switch that is a "manual off" I will be adding a "manual on" and a LED light to show when the fan is on or off.

And heres a link to an album with the rest of the pictures
Radiator pictures by sergeantspud - Photobucket

Sooo questions comments?

sergeantspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Click free:

Picture of the mounts that I made, they fit quite well.

The mounted fan

Another of the mounted fan

The switch that is a "manual off" I will be adding a "manual on" and a LED light to show when the fan is on or off.

And heres a link to an album with the rest of the pictures
Radiator pictures by sergeantspud - Photobucket

Last edited by Border Dave; 01-29-2010 at 12:20 AM..
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

looks good, most poeple don't report an imporvement in MPG when they switch to an electric fan, but that's good you're getting better cooling.

When I was still searching for an electric fan people stressed how important a fan shroud was, but I guess you may not need one, however if you over heat in the future that would be the first thing I'd trouble shoot... other than failure of course.
Unread 01-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well hoping for my highway milage to go up... with the fan off and no mechanical fan taking power from the engine.

And I kept my mechanical fan just in case
Unread 01-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2 speed Taurus and I actually have to run it on high on the free way when it's summer
Unread 01-29-2010, 12:57 AM   #6
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That kind of doesnt make sense...? the fan can blow maybe 50mph but an incoming air flow of 60mph? I dont know specific mph of the fan but it cant be more than high way speed?
Unread 01-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

i'm really interested to see how this turns out. glad to see some improved cooling, keep us updated on the electric fan and the efficiency.

looks like the clearance between the water pump and the electric fan is pretty tight - any issues there?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeantspud View Post

And I kept my mechanical fan just in case
That's good because I suspect when summer gets here and the freeways get hot, you'll be reinstalling it.

As far as your air speed comment, it's not difficult at all to get air moving much faster than you are capable of driving your rig.

Toro - Homeowner Yard Tools
Unread 01-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
looks like the clearance between the water pump and the electric fan is pretty tight - any issues there?
Yea the clearance is very tight, around 1/2 inch but no issues as of yet.
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxrules39 View Post
I have a 2 speed Taurus and I actually have to run it on high on the free way when it's summer
I have a flex-a-lite and any mph over 30 mph it shuts off. If you have to run your electric fan @ hwy speeds even in the summer you might have an issue somewhere in the cooling system. In the summer and on the freeway and with A/C on the fan might stay on a mile or so after I approach hwy speeds. I dont know what a Tarus fan pulls cfm wise but mine is 3300 and I never have any problem. I also tow a 1500 load sometimes and it is fine. Somekind of shroud is very important for air flow at slow speeds.
Bubba3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
02gixxersix
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ebay fan? I just put the same one in. Did those mount brackets come with the radiator?
Black 2000 TJ Sport - NV3550 - 30/44 w/ 3.73s - Currie Currectlink Steering - 35" ATs (for now) - 2003 engine and tranny swap - XRC8 - Homebrew Winch Plate - Uniden Pro520XL - Electric Fan - Lock-right in front
(not installed)
02gixxersix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
sergeantspud
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yep an ebay fan, I actually got this deal...
Champion radiator and fan from ebay

2500cfm sounded good to me. And the picture on the listing shows mounts coming with the fan but none came in the package so I just made some from some small square tubing.
Unread 01-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, where's the shroud? Not many know how incredibly important the shroud is to proper cooling since it forces air through the radiator and prevents the air from just spilling off the tips of the fan blades. Poor cooling/hotter running engines are often nothing more than a damaged/torn shroud, let alone one that isn't even there.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
02gixxersix
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I zip-tied mine to my radiator shroud. I need a new radiator soon though. I think I will follow your lead on that one bc it looks pretty nice. Zip ties are so easy though lol.
Black 2000 TJ Sport - NV3550 - 30/44 w/ 3.73s - Currie Currectlink Steering - 35" ATs (for now) - 2003 engine and tranny swap - XRC8 - Homebrew Winch Plate - Uniden Pro520XL - Electric Fan - Lock-right in front
(not installed)
02gixxersix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #15
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

What was the cost of the radiator?....

Tags
aluminum , install , jeep , radiator , review , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.