Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Champion 3 row aluminum radiator (review)

129K views 276 replies 51 participants last post by  Jeeper5 
#1 ·
So after 150k miles my stock radiator started leaking and started the search for a new radiator. Now as a background I did have some problems over heating, but only with the worst of the worst situation like doing 3k rpm at 75mph in 105 degree heat with the A/C on. So I figure in order to counter that I'd like an upgraded radiator instead of the stock OEM replacement.

I've looked around on here for hours and have seen someone bought a Silla 2 row aluminum radiator and I liked it but the thing that sold me on the Champion one is that the fill neck is billet welded and not stamped in. Also I saw that it was mentioned on here that 3 row is bad... but I took the chance anyways.

After putting it in and replacing coolant, hoses, and thermostat (stock temp 195) I drove it around for a few hours down the freeway and all around town and the temp stuck around 10degrees cooler according to the stock temp gauge with mechanical fan. So far it seems to be working good.

Along with the radiator, I also got an electric fan and hooked that up yesterday it turns on at 200 and off at 180 and seems to work awesome hoping for better highway milage but I'll find out soon.

(last time I posted pics they were blocked to lower members I apologize for all the links)

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m111/sergeantspud/Radiator/DSCN0507.jpg
The welds are actually pretty nice looking.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m111/sergeantspud/Radiator/DSCN0509.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m111/sergeantspud/Radiator/DSCN0515.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m111/sergeantspud/Radiator/DSCN0506.jpg
Picture of the mounts that I made, they fit quite well.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m111/sergeantspud/Radiator/DSCN0514.jpg
The mounted fan

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m111/sergeantspud/Radiator/DSCN0518.jpg
Another of the mounted fan

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m111/sergeantspud/Radiator/DSCN0519.jpg
The switch that is a "manual off" I will be adding a "manual on" and a LED light to show when the fan is on or off.

And heres a link to an album with the rest of the pictures
Radiator pictures by sergeantspud - Photobucket

Sooo questions comments? :D

See less See more
#3 ·
looks good, most poeple don't report an imporvement in MPG when they switch to an electric fan, but that's good you're getting better cooling.

When I was still searching for an electric fan people stressed how important a fan shroud was, but I guess you may not need one, however if you over heat in the future that would be the first thing I'd trouble shoot... other than failure of course.

#8 ·
And I kept my mechanical fan just in case :p
That's good because I suspect when summer gets here and the freeways get hot, you'll be reinstalling it.

As far as your air speed comment, it's not difficult at all to get air moving much faster than you are capable of driving your rig. :rofl:

Toro - Homeowner Yard Tools

#10 ·
I have a flex-a-lite and any mph over 30 mph it shuts off. If you have to run your electric fan @ hwy speeds even in the summer you might have an issue somewhere in the cooling system. In the summer and on the freeway and with A/C on the fan might stay on a mile or so after I approach hwy speeds. I dont know what a Tarus fan pulls cfm wise but mine is 3300 and I never have any problem. I also tow a 1500 load sometimes and it is fine. Somekind of shroud is very important for air flow at slow speeds.

#7 ·
i'm really interested to see how this turns out. glad to see some improved cooling, keep us updated on the electric fan and the efficiency.

looks like the clearance between the water pump and the electric fan is pretty tight - any issues there?

#13 ·
Nice, where's the shroud? Not many know how incredibly important the shroud is to proper cooling since it forces air through the radiator and prevents the air from just spilling off the tips of the fan blades. Poor cooling/hotter running engines are often nothing more than a damaged/torn shroud, let alone one that isn't even there. :)

#17 ·
I just installed one of these. The radiator cost $199+$20? freight. I went ahead and used the flex-lite electric fan that the previous owner installed. It is a very tight fit. I have played with the flex-lite electric fan and the factory mechanical fan and IMO the factory (mechanical) fan moves way more air. We will see how it goes I am quite sure the mechanical fan will be going on for good.

#18 ·
I paid $220 for the radiator, $20 for the fan, and $35 FedEx shipping.

Nice, where's the shroud? Not many know how incredibly important the shroud is to proper cooling since it forces air through the radiator and prevents the air from just spilling off the tips of the fan blades. Poor cooling/hotter running engines are often nothing more than a damaged/torn shroud, let alone one that isn't even there.
Hmm, I'm sure if I starting thinking about it for a few days I'll come up with some way to make a shroud with some sheet metal and a few correctly placed bends, cuts, and bolts.

As of right now though, 70 degree weather the temp is just fine siting still around 10-15 bellow normal temp of 210 (still estimating with stock gauge) and the fan has not turned on once unless I idle it for 5 min then it turns on for a minute or two and off again for another 5.

#21 ·
No I have a 3 core all metal radiator barn one going strong for 3 years now. I am just commenting on how my set-up works. No scientist here. I just looked at a Tarus fan, 2 small fans I believe and it seems to me that the 17 inch single fan I have covers more of the rediator than two of the smaller fans. The flex-a-lite comes mounted in a shroud so to speak. It just seems that at hwy speeds you just dont need a fan with all the air coming through. I always keep an eye on my A/C condensor in front or the radiator....that it dosent get too bent up restricting the air flow to the radiator. With this cold weather we have been having I can run around all day and the fan never kicks on till I park the jeep and then it runs a bit till the rad is cooled off.

#22 ·
Just finished a complete tank of gas and calculated out to 1mpg increase! From 14.3 to 15.2 mostly highway (55mph) but some city (I didn't sit in any traffic) oh and some mountain driving. More than I thought it would be. The electric fan hasn't come on yet unless I'm sitting in a drive through or just idling. Also, put in the other switch and LED status light. Will keep you update for when I sort out a way to make a shroud.

#23 ·
This is ironic. I just bought one on the 1st after having a leaking Novak aluminum radiator for 3 years. :rolleyes:

It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. It looks very high quality (better than the one I have now), and they seem to have pride in what they do. Got mine off of ebay - they have awesome feedback on there.

I installed a flex fan from Summit when I put my Novak in (it's over 3" wide), so I think that will work just fine with the radiator - it doesn't look as wide as the Novak.

I'm excited...I actually get to DRIVE my heep again. Imagine that.

#24 ·
Can you do me a favor and measure from the fan pulley mounting surface to your radiator fins? I may need to get a shorter pulley spacer for me flex fan. Mine is a 1" spacer to fit my current novak radiator

#25 ·
I am on a search for a new radiator. I know I don't want the factory plastic/aluminum (that is the source of my leak now). What else do I need to look for? What is the advantage to the 3 row. If it makes the car run cooler than factory, wouldn't that cause other problems?

#26 ·
#27 ·
Just a side note - I got mine today. I don't put crap on my jeep, and this radiator appears to be very high quality. the welds look very good, there is no epoxy (which is more than I can say for the Novak), and the radiator bolted right up. For those with stock fans, you might have to go with a flex fan or an electrical fan. I am very happy, and it was a full $200 less than the novak aluminum radiator I had in, and much higher quality. I am a happy camper.

#34 ·
If spud's worked with the stock fan that should be fine. My Novak was 3" wide and would not work with the stock fan, so I was already running a summit flex fan with a 2" spacer, which really lined up well with the new champion radiator. I must say I am very happy with the new radiator...literally half the price of the Novak, much better welds and construction than the Silla, and bolted right in with no issues. Not too often have I been able to say that about a jeep mod!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.