Chains or Cables? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chains or Cables?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 10-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Chains or Cables?

A friend asked me to ask this:

I'm going to buy my first set of chains/cables because I'm in a situation where I will probably HAVE to drive during our 2-3 "ices" we have here in NC. 3 questions:

1. what car? I have a 2wd explorer with abs/traction control and I have a 03 Rubicon with no abs/traction control on 33's.
2. chains or cables? From my reading I was settled on vbar chains but after talking to a couple of vendors they are all saying SCC Z chains (cables) are the way to go for ice.
3. chain up all 4 tires or just 2?

thanks in advance!

rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ive never had traction control, so I cant really say much about that, although ABS in the winter technically makes it take LONGER to stop. Also, ABS can be 'simulated' by pumping the brakes SLIGHTLY and not too much. You will want to chain all 4 tires; with just two done, you can go straight, but wont be able to turn, or stop as well, seeing as all four wheels have brakes on them.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Chains have better traction in deep snow and on ice, cables offer greater clearance if your fenders are very close to oversize tires or if your wheels are too close to the suspension like when the wheels have a lot of backspacing. If you have adequate clearance around your tires and your wheels aren't tucked in close with a lot of backspacing, I'd go for the chains. If there's any doubt about clearance for the chains, especially in the rear where the tire's sidewall is close to the upper coil spring mount, the safer decision would be cables.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^True, cables have more clearance, however I've busted a set before. Years ago I use to put them on an RX-7 in Colorado and I spun the tires a lot.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hey guys, Resurrecting this thread... So sounds like chains are the way to go... Should I get a set for both front and rear, or will I be safe with just the rear...

Also, Jerry or anyone else in SoCal, how often have you seen the roads to Big Bear go to an R3 level requiring us to put chains on? I had a set of used cables I picked up a few years ago but never had to use them. Just wanted to see if I should even bother investing in them. I'm running 285/70R17 BFG A/T's on my '10 Wrangler Sport.

Thanks guys

Past vehicles: '92 YJ, '97 TJ, '10 JK
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have not seen the CHP actually stopping people and requiring them to install their chains very many times going heading into Big Bear. The CHP road blocks are usually nothing more than a check that your vehicle either has snow (like M+S) tires or that you have suitable chains with you. Since getting my Jeep, they normally just wave me through.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Greenfun2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My mind thinks if you only have one set of chains, that they would be better served on the front. Does that sound about right to you guys that actually know what your talking about?
Greenfun2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I go to big bear a lot in the winter for snowboarding. They do checks/stops only after a big storm or on busy weekends with even minor storms. I have chains, they grip much better than cables. With that said, I've never driven on roads bad enough to warrant 4x4 and chains. Smart driving goes a long way.

Make sure you at least have chains/cables with you. I've seen them checking a few times. But, like Jerry said, I always get waved along.
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
dlysle
2006 LJ Wrangler 

if you have 4WD i've always been a believer that the chains should go in the front. that way they help motivate you, steer you, and brake you. that's where i run mine, and most of the folks i see in northern PA run the same way. of course if you only have 2WD put them on the drive wheels.

'four wheel drive only allows you to get stuck in more inaccessible places' - George Noll
dlysle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
spdtrip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My friend uses these http://www.flextrax.com/mycustompage0025.htm says they work great. Ive been thinking about getting some to throw in back of jeep.
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

We had a club meeting one night and while we were inside the restaurant, it rained on the very cold blacktop parking lot. No one made it out except a guy driving his wife's Lexus with traction control. Very impressive. also, very unusual.

Chains are best for ice, but how much does he really have. Is he driving on the arctic tundra? If its just occasional, four studded snow tires are probably all he needs. If he is a ski instructor living in town above 6000 feet, get a nice set of chains (four wheels) and a warm garage to put them on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.