CEL P0171 and misfiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CEL P0171 and misfiring

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 11-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
PirateVI
2002 TJ Wrangler 

CEL P0171 and misfiring

Hi, I am hoping someone can give me some advice here. I have been away for a month and came back to find the Jeep running very rough. During the time I was away we were hit with a cat 3 hurricane, and everything got wet. Now the Jeep seems to be misfiring, puffing a little black smoke and a small amount of black liquid out the tailpipe, and is displaying the Check engine light with the code P0171. P0171 means Fuel System Lean A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an
abnormally rich correction factor.
From what I understand, many times this is caused by a vacuum leak or bad o2 sensor, but would that cause misfiring, also if I am misfiring, wouldn't I have a code show for what cylinder is misfiring?
I have not seen anyone anywhere even suggest that it could be the spark plugs, but thats what I was kind of thinking could be the problem.
I don't want to have to bring this to a shop because it would be major money here, but I need to fix it soon, I am borrowing my dad's car while he is away, but he will be back soon, and I don't want to have to bum rides to work.

PS The Jeep is a 2002 TJ SE 4cyl, I have no performance or engine mods.
Thank you, I know one of you all can help me.

PirateVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did you check your distributer cap? did you check your fuel and air systems?

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
PirateVI
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I really don know much about this stuff, what/where is the distributer cap, and what should I be looking for in the air and fuel systems?
PirateVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's over on the passengers side of the engine. I'd say change the plugs wires and distributor cap. Look for some moisture in the intake. Might want to change the O2 sensor too.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
nmcclure7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This code means that the upstream O2 sensor was detecting that not enough fuel was being injected (running lean). The possibilities are endless without more information.

Could be as simple as bad O2 sensor.
Could be a bad ECU
Could be a sort or open somewhere in the wiring causing a bad signal to be sent to the ECU
Could be bad or overly dirty injectors
Could be a vacuum leak or something allowing too much air.

I would say do a search on how to check for each of the above problems and post your findings

edit: oops! didnt realize this was such an old thread!

Last edited by nmcclure7; 07-03-2013 at 02:18 PM..
nmcclure7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you have access to a scanner you can check the O2 crosscounts with the engine hot.

If you don't, pull the O2 sensor and see if it is all gummed up with soot and burned fuel. This method is far from fool proof, but it's better than nothing.

Definately check for vacuum leaks.

Pull your plugs and inspect for fowling.

Check your air fliter.

Check out your throttle body to see if it needs cleaning.

Pull the distributor cap and check the contacts in it and your rotor fro signs of corrosion or burning.

Yes, that's a lot to check. but, it could be a lot of things causing your issue.

Also, you could have bad gas or water in your fuel.

EDIT: Also, if you don't even know where your distributor cap is you really need to get some type of service manual. The factory manual is best, but if you are lacking basic knowledge, even a Hayne's or Chilton's manual will help.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had an odd issue once where my 2000 XJ had a check engine light for cylinder misfire, cant remember the exact wording but I pulled the plugs and one was worn way down, abnormally low. Not sure why I'd had the jeep for a long time already and after replacing the plugs it's been fine ever since.
Weird things can happen.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.