CEL can't make up its mind. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CEL can't make up its mind.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
OzzLee
2005 TJ Wrangler 

CEL can't make up its mind.

Bought an 05 TJ three weeks ago. First Jeep. I love it....even with the death wobble....wakes you up quicker than two pots of coffee.

DW is not why I'm here. I'm here because this past week my check engine light has gone nutty. I start the Jeep and it's off. A mile or so, it comes on for 5-10 seconds and shuts back off. A minute or two later it turns back on and is flashing and dinging and waiving its arms saying "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!" and after a few seconds it shuts off. Off, on, off, on, off, flashing, off, on, flashing, off.....well you get the picture.

I took it to the auto parts store to have the code read, and was told they couldn't because the light isn't on. They told me what ever problem I was having, it was quickly correcting itself. I don't notice anything wrong when the light comes on, but Jeeps are new to me.

Has this happened to anyone else? Please tell me its simple, like a loose fuse, and not something ready to explode and I shouldn't even drive it to the end of my driveway.

OzzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I hate to tell you this but mine did this a few times a couple of years ago and I never figured out why. Never really worried about it though because there weren't any other symptoms.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Has happened two or three times to me. I think always after extended periods of driving at highway speed in heavy rain. Always assumed a sensor or something had gotten wet and didn't like it but then dried quickly from engine heat. Who knows? No consequences that I've ever been able to determine.
Unread 07-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Erratic CEL could be the first sign of a bad OPDA. Better check it.
Lots of fixes for that problem. Easy to check after viewing the video on page 1 of the monster thread of the subject.
Good luck, PW
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac View Post
Lots of fixes for that problem. Easy to check after viewing the video on page 1 of the monster thread of the subject.
Good luck, PW
Possible, but personally the episodes I related have happened over lets say the last five years so very scattered and I'm at 136k on stock OPDA, so while checking that is a good thing if you have an 05 or 06 I dont' think it is what caused it for me.
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
OzzLee
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac View Post
Good luck, PW
I would like to extend my thanks. After finding the thread you suggested, I'm positive it is my OPDA going bad. I have the "laughing Monkey" sound, though not nearly as bad as in the video. At times it makes no noise at all. I started looking at the oil pressure gauge as well, and noticed it drop pressure and then quickly regain it again. My CEL comes on when it drops the entire way. I hadn't noticed this since it happened so quickly and I wasn't focused on the gauge.

I'm glad you mentioned this before it quit completely and did some serious damage. Cheers to you
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Dead_End
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzLee View Post
I took it to the auto parts store to have the code read, and was told they couldn't because the light isn't on. They told me what ever problem I was having, it was quickly correcting itself. I don't notice anything wrong when the light comes on, but Jeeps are new to me.
Did they tell you they couldn't hook it up with the light off, or did it not pull up any codes? The ECU should have whatever code was throwing the light stored as "pending" and should still show up on a scan tool.
2000 TJ-amber fire, 2.5L, AX5 transmission, NP231 transfer case, 1" t-case drop, D30 front, D35 rear, 4.10 gears, 4" Rubicon Express lift, 33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler Dratrac tires, 15x8 American Racing steel D-window rims, 3 chime train horn, Viar 450C compressor with 6 gal tank, CJ tailgate, CJ/YJ hard top with XJ roof rack, soft top, Dynomax Super Turbo cat-back, HD ZJ steering, bedliner, SRC rear bumper w/tire carrier
1990 XJ "Dead End"-amber fire, 4.0L, AW4 transmission, D30 front, D35 rear, 3.55 gears, 235/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires, 15x7 TJ rims, 2001 front clip
1993 XJ forest green, 4.0l, 2wd, AW4 trans, D35 rear, 3.55 gears
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_End View Post
Did they tell you they couldn't hook it up with the light off, or did it not pull up any codes? The ECU should have whatever code was throwing the light stored as "pending" and should still show up on a scan tool.
X2. The code will still be readable even if the light is off.
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Cel

I believe its true that codes are set and readable when the CEL is off.

Intermittent CEL if caused by wear on the drive gears always start out as intermittent. Reason the worn gears cause slop and the cam position sensor goes in and out of the sweet spot and the ECU compensates when the tone ring/sensor moves out of tolerance.
Never neglect any kind of CEL whether intermittent or not.
PW
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
OzzLee
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Figured it out. When I bought it, the sticker said I still had 3k miles before my next oil change. I figured it was recently serviced. Checked the oil....bone dry. Put a quart in, and it held pressure. Definitely going to keep an eye on it now that I know the OPDA is notorious for going bad.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.