CCV Hoses - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CCV Hoses

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Smoking Deal on Jeep Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit with rear 13

Unread 06-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
72andsunny
1999 TJ Wrangler 

CCV Hoses

Hi all, I'm attempting to replace my valve gasket cover, and I've hit an early stumbling block. I can't get the ccv hoses off (the front one wasn't connected to the air tube...hope that wasn't a problem!).

I see many people break the CCVs when doing this repair; mine look pretty new so I am hoping not to do that. Is there some trick to these hoses? They will spin, but I'm using reasonable force And neither is close to moving in the right direction.

72andsunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
72andsunny
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Forced the back off; I can live with the front one.
Unread 06-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
72andsunny
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Making progress; I'm now stuck on a wiring harness attached to the alternator. I've had to unplug a few of these things as the wires are routed over the valve cover. I cannot get this last one off....mostly because I can't see it very well. I'm pushing on what I think is a tab, but there also this red clip. Can somebody offer a little removal advice?
img_20150617_112926160_1434578167690.jpg  
Unread 06-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
72andsunny
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Screwdriver! Got it. Think I'll get this cover off.
Unread 06-18-2015, 12:50 AM   #5
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you see a red tab on any of your connectors, it's a lock tab. To disengage the lock tab, usually all that is required is to slide it out until it stops -- you will then be able to press the release tab in the connector and pull the two halves apart. Some lock tabs can be rather difficult to move and may require a common screwdriver to pop them out of the fully closed position.
Unread 06-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
72andsunny
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the cover mostly cleaned up. There was a lot of gunk at the back, and underneath it at the back bolt (on the seal side) the paint has peeled off and the surface is a little rough. Should I do something to it before putting it back together?
img_20150618_051627195_1434640777508.jpg  
Unread 06-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #7
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Clean and paint it so it won't rust, then press on with your reseal and install. The rough area shouldn't affect the sealing of the cover.
Unread 06-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
72andsunny
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I kind of forgot about it when I was spending an hour (or more) trying to get all the grommets off the torque limiters. The last two were fused on. Probably would have been easier with better equipment.

I'm embarrassed to say how long this took me. It was my first auto repair, and my only assistance was this forum. I'm guessing I spent over $200 on tools, but hey: Now I have tools!

I've only started it up in the garage, but the idle is good, oil pressure is good, and no leaks as of now.
Unread 06-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
72andsunny
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bah! 8 mile drive and it's still leaking. If I've made it worse, I'm paying someone to fix it. If there's no change I'm going to assume it's coming from somewhere else.
Unread 06-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

torque the bolts from inside to out, going from side to side. Or the valve cover will leak. It helps spread it out even on head.
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #11
72andsunny
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I followed the factory service manual diagram. Except it only shows 14 bolts, and I clearly had 15. I think pretty close on the torque, though I could only reach to or 3 of the bolts with the torque wrench.

I am very disappointed. I've called a mobile mechanic.
Unread 06-23-2015, 11:18 PM   #12
72andsunny
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure nobody is following this thread, but I went from leaking about 2 drops a day (before the repait) to leaking 2 drops every time I drove the car (after the repair). I had a mechanic look at it; he determined that my valve cover gasket looked good, and that it is leaking from the oil pan. He thinks that stopping the leak from the valve cover forced more oil out the bottom...or maybe he was just trying to make me feel better. After a little convincing, he agreed to do the rear main seal at the same time. 6 quarts of synthetic oil later, and I am pretty close to not leaking. I say pretty close because there's at least a year of old oil on everything from the engine down. I have not seen a drop land after 100 miles of driving (and most of that was up a volcano), but things do look a shiny (and they were dry this morning).
Unread 06-24-2015, 12:36 AM   #13
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Stopping a valve cover leak isn't going to "force" oil to leak anywhere else. If you have oil and crud built up all over everything, then spray it all well with simple green or whatever your favourite degreaser may be, give it a good scrub, and wash it all off. Now that you have a clean engine, you can more accurately identify if and where you have any remaining leaks.
Unread 06-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #14
72andsunny
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Good advice. I cleaned the engine bay, I'm going to save the underside for another day. So far, I am still leak free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.