which catalytic convter do i need - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > which catalytic convter do i need

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

which catalytic convter do i need

i live in mass and my jeep has the california emissions rating. i need a new cat, but do i have to buy the 479 one or can i go with a cheaper generic one?

Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...69+10852&Nty=1
I'll BE BAAAAK!
the Governator
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
That one is not California compliant as the OP requires for his state. And Mass. WILL ding him during their smog test since the correct cat must be there to keep the Check Engine circuit and light happy which is required by the OBDII system.

I paid less than $100 for my Calif. compliant cat from www.car-sound.com/. I had to call them since they don't show Jeep in their drop-down list of vehicles they have cats for. You do have to make sure it has the bung (mounting port) for the 02 sensor which screws into the cat itself. eBay also has cheap Calif. compliant cats too, I'd check there first.

Here's one that has the required 02 sensor bung required by California but it doesn't specifically say it is California compliant... maybe they just left that out of their description but double-check with them. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-98-99-00-Jeep-Wrangler-Catalytic-Converter-OEM-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247 QQcategoryZ33629QQihZ009QQitemZ190067343330QQrdZ1Q QsspagenameZWD1V

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i called up the company you sent me the site for and they said they do not have a cat from my 2.5 wrangler. i will check on ebay also. and do you have a recommendation for a cheap muffler i was told mine was gone.
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.