Catalytic converter question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Catalytic converter question

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
smotrs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Been a while so I thought I would give an update.

I ended up going with the dealer cat. A vendor I'm working with needed as close to oem so they could get before and after numbers on a dyno. So I gave the ok for them to order and install the oem cat.

After all was said and done and they sent the parts off to CARB for approval I went to pick it up. Total cost, $0.

Unread 05-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #17
HELLSUNICORN

Be warned because a lot of the aftermarket cats are not legal in California. They may not pass an emissions test.
HELLSUNICORN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #18
smotrs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, I know. In this case, its an OEM cat from the dealer in our area. I originally wanted to get an after market, but for the testing they wanted to do, they needed factory. So they bought it from the Jeep dealer. Invoice showed about $1.1k with no charge to customer.
Unread 05-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #19
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
Been a while so I thought I would give an update.

I ended up going with the dealer cat. A vendor I'm working with needed as close to oem so they could get before and after numbers on a dyno. So I gave the ok for them to order and install the oem cat.

After all was said and done and they sent the parts off to CARB for approval I went to pick it up. Total cost, $0.
$0 is a good price.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #20
smotrs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman

$0 is a good price.
I thought so. I was expecting to pay at least labor. But it worked out even better.

Shaun

Sent from my PC36100 using JeepForum
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #21
Peezi
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ya, that is a good cost, I recently paid about $250 for a aftermarket cat and muffler designed to increase gas mileage and put it on myself. I noticed that I get much better gas milage driving in the mountains (2-3 MPG) and just a little better gas milage driving in the city (.5-1 MPG). Since my car had 200k miles I figured getting rid of the originals was a good bet.

The downsides? The muffler is about as loud as before (although its a deeper, controlled rumble now, before it was just loud and rattily) and the jeep sometimes vibrates when in neutral at a stop light. I don't like the vibrations, I might just need to tighten up some screws on the dash to resolve, we'll see.

Good luck with the testing.
Peezi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cat , catalytic converter , emissions , exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.