Catalytic converter question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Catalytic converter question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 08-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
smotrs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Catalytic converter question

What all does the dealer sell when you buy a catalytic converter for a 98 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L with 5spd manual? I need a new catalytic converter for my jeep and when I called the dealer to get an idea, I was quoted $1098 yet I've seen them for quite a bit less in the past. Is this a full exhaust all welded and ready to bolt in or just a catalytic converter?

smotrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That is WAAYY more expensive than it needs to be for just one catalytic converter. What they quoted you for was probably for the entire exhaust system tubing and all. I would go to a custom muffler shop and get them to cut out your bad cat and weld in a new one. That should only run you $100-$200.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Silvestris
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can try this too if you want to do it yourself.

Direct-fit Catalytic Converters for 49 States - JCWhitney
Unread 08-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
What all does the dealer sell when you buy a catalytic converter for a 98 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L with 5spd manual? I need a new catalytic converter for my jeep and when I called the dealer to get an idea, I was quoted $1098 yet I've seen them for quite a bit less in the past. Is this a full exhaust all welded and ready to bolt in or just a catalytic converter?
I just paid $85 for a universal fit and $40 to have it installed. This is for the cat above the skid. There are 2 other cats in my 01, maybe in your 98. They are up stream closer to the motor. Maybe that price also included them. Still way too high I would think.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

rockauto.com has a set for my jeep that includes the two pup cats at the collector, and the big cat by the muffler all for $400ish.

Check it out. Screw the dealer.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
smotrs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
That is WAAYY more expensive than it needs to be for just one catalytic converter. What they quoted you for was probably for the entire exhaust system tubing and all. I would go to a custom muffler shop and get them to cut out your bad cat and weld in a new one. That should only run you $100-$200.
Yeah, I that's what I was thinking too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvestris View Post
You can try this too if you want to do it yourself.

Direct-fit Catalytic Converters for 49 States - JCWhitney
Only problem with that is they don't want to sell to California customers, which is what I am. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I just paid $85 for a universal fit and $40 to have it installed. This is for the cat above the skid. There are 2 other cats in my 01, maybe in your 98. They are up stream closer to the motor. Maybe that price also included them. Still way too high I would think.
From what I understand, it's the complete pipe from the header flange to the muffler flange and everything in between. I like the idea of going to a muffler shop and having them weld a new one on, which is originally what I was planning on doing, but wanted to get an idea on the cost of the CAT, so called the dealer knowing that a muffler shop would be cheaper. But wasn't expecting that high of a price.

Thanks all.
Unread 08-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

they want $340 for this, but it's listed for an '02, I can't find a '98 listing.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My 99 only has the one cat, above the skid, and only a single downtube off the manifold.

I belive the twin cats like the one pictured came in 2000 with the dual-outlet exhaust manifold.

I don't know what "california emissions" would have had in 98 - it might be different from my 99 Massachusetts model.

Do you have the part number that they quoted you the $1000+? I'm sure someone here could tell you what it is from that.

Pete
Laredo, 104K, sunroof, 4.0, selectrac, 3" IRO +10mm, adj trac bar, 265-75-16s Goodyear = DD & Expedition Jeep.
PeteYJTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
smotrs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post

they want $340 for this, but it's listed for an '02, I can't find a '98 listing.
That definitely looks like a dual outlet exhaust like Pete mentions below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteYJTJ View Post
My 99 only has the one cat, above the skid, and only a single downtube off the manifold.

I belive the twin cats like the one pictured came in 2000 with the dual-outlet exhaust manifold.

I don't know what "california emissions" would have had in 98 - it might be different from my 99 Massachusetts model.

Do you have the part number that they quoted you the $1000+? I'm sure someone here could tell you what it is from that.

Pete
I'm gonna have to call them back for it. Will post it up when I get it. Definitely an expensive OEM part.
Unread 08-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
Silvestris
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My 98 has the single cat above the skid. I'd say go to a shop and have them weld in a new one. California sucks about emissions. I get pissed about Lake county emissions testing when most all the counties around us have absolutely none. I'd hate to live in Cali.
Unread 08-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
55willystruck

I ordered and am in the process of installing a new cat setup from Eastern Catalytic. It's a direct OE replacement and for my '05 looks very similar to the pic above but also has the new 3rd at separate. Comes with clamp also. I've got it bolted up right now which seems to be a good solid fit and just loose-fit the 3rd cat. Getting ready to cut the old pipe I pulled out and fit it to the spintech here shortly-had to take a break for a bit. It's a high-flow setup, complete and ran $371 with free shipping from parts and accessories.com or usaauto parts-whatever they call it. It had a cat refund program that came with it to return my old setup for a refund. After searching around a bit and calling them, I decided it wasn't worth it for the $10-20 they'd send you back in a month. I think I may get the torch out and cut the old ones up to see how they look inside instead. Better get back out there and finish fitting then weld it up.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got the CA approved cat from Napa for $159 (with my discount) I think it's normally $169 plus $40 to get it welded on at a local muffler shop.
Unread 08-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post

Yup should only be in 2000 models and up with the two piece exhaust manifold. I got mine for $200 from Davico.
Unread 08-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #14
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
Yup should only be in 2000 models and up with the two piece exhaust manifold. I got mine for $200 from Davico.
Nope. Some 2000 4.0L TJ's came OEM with the 2 piece manifold without the mini cats, like mine did...
Unread 08-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Nope. Some 2000 4.0L TJ's came OEM with the 2 piece manifold without the mini cats, like mine did...
Lucky! Don't have to worry about extra cats or the O2 sensors for 'em. I swear... Your TJ is the most unique one out there and is an exception for everything

Tags
cat , catalytic converter , emissions , exhaust

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.