caster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > caster

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 03-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
duke04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

caster

OK, I have the death wobble that has just gotten worse. I'm looking at the front upper and lower control arms on my 2004 TJ and it looks like there are adjustment cams on both. I know I tried the lower cam sometime back and it didn't move. Does the upper cam work and adjust? Or is it for looks too?
I see that the older TJ's have adjustment cams, can they be installed on a 2004?
Thanks for any info and help.
Terry

Black Jeep #63
duke04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke04 View Post
OK, I have the death wobble that has just gotten worse. I'm looking at the front upper and lower control arms on my 2004 TJ and it looks like there are adjustment cams on both. I know I tried the lower cam sometime back and it didn't move. Does the upper cam work and adjust? Or is it for looks too?
I see that the older TJ's have adjustment cams, can they be installed on a 2004?
Thanks for any info and help.
Terry
A 2004 doesn't have adjustment cams from the factory, you need to buy them. They only go on the front lower control arm mount at the axle. The uppers are fixed length and do NOT have cams.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
duke04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, it sure looks like the uppers have a cam, too.
Black Jeep #63
duke04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke04 View Post
Thanks, it sure looks like the uppers have a cam, too.
they do not. its a flag nut to prevent rotation of the nut when torquing it down on the assembly line.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You have death wobble and your trying to adjust castor?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
BillDog103
1997 TJ Wrangler 

While you are looking at those control arms... have a good look at the bushings. That is most likely your culprit. but check all of the usual suspects. Steering linkages, ball joints, balance of tires, etc.
BillDog103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Death wobble is usually caused by incorrect steering geometry. Check your bolts (Track bar bolt, bushing, and rod end) and angles. and im not trying to be rude, but 9 times out of 10 a buddy is crying death wobble when its really just a good shimmy that can easily be fixed. Death Wobble dang near makes me need to steam clean my seat. Death wobble may also be triggered by something like tires out of balance. Something has to trigger the death wobble i.e. Potholes, bumps, etc.

Just some tips.
Unread 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblack View Post
Death wobble is usually caused by incorrect steering geometry.
No it's not.

DW occurs when the front end can't control the tires....something is either loose or worn. If the front end is tight and in good shape, unbalanced tires won't cause DW. That's all pretty irrelevant to steering geometry (not sure if that's the term you were looking for) and alignment.

Hint: It's not your caster. You don't need to go messing with those dumb cam bolts. You need to find the source of the wobble.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
No it's not.

DW occurs when the front end can't control the tires....something is either loose or worn. If the front end is tight and in good shape, unbalanced tires won't cause DW. That's all pretty irrelevant to steering geometry (not sure if that's the term you were looking for) and alignment.

Hint: It's not your caster. You don't need to go messing with those dumb cam bolts. You need to find the source of the wobble.
I agree it's probably not caster, but DW is OFTEN caused by tires. I've had a set of tires that simply could not be controlled. I even put BB's in them to try to balance and couldn't get it done (besides the weights that were put on at the tire store). I have done nothing to the front of my jeep since then and put an old beat up set of 35's on it and there are absolutely no problems. Can drive hands free 0 to 70 mph.
DW is a harmonic vibration. If your setup hits the proper rythym it doesn't matter how good your parts are, it's gonna go crazy.
Unread 03-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
DW is a harmonic vibration. If your setup hits the proper rythym it doesn't matter how good your parts are, it's gonna go crazy.
And if that harmonic can't start, then it doesn't matter. Small, worn, or flexible parts allow that harmonic vibration. A good front end won't let it get out of control. I can drive on my tires unbalanced all day long....there might be a couple minor hops/wobbles every now and again, but it never turns into DW.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.