Car Seats, LATCH System, Seat Belts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Car Seats, LATCH System, Seat Belts

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
afguy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Car Seats, LATCH System, Seat Belts

Since my Jeep is a 98, it isnt set up for the LATCH system. Im thinking of going to a junkyard and finding a lap belt from the middle of a standard cab pickup (one that hasnt been in a wreck of course) that way it is a little more secure that a V seat belt. Any thoughts?

Also, in several months my daughter will be ready for a fwd facing. Does anyone know if the latch mounts (not the actual LATCH mounts) on the floor in the cargo area are strong enough for the top strap that goes over the back of the seat on the fwd facing seats?

Unread 07-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Those are pop riveted into the tub I believe, I duno how strong does the system require but I don't trust them to hold anything as valuable as your kid.

Does your jeep has a front passenger airbag disable? could put the seat upfront.

User CP > Options > Uncheck "Show Signatures"
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
afguy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl
Those are pop riveted into the tub I believe, I duno how strong does the system require but I don't trust them to hold anything as valuable as your kid.

Does your jeep has a front passenger airbag disable? could put the seat upfront.
The forward facing seats are still attached at the bottom with the seat belt, but there is an extra buckle that keeps the top of the seat from tilting forward, but I agree. If they are just riveted in then I wont use them. I dont have an airbag disable.

Anyone have any opinions about the lapbelt from a truck?
Unread 07-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
WDE24Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

my son rides in the back of my 05 with the latches in the seat....he will go to a fwd facing seat soon.

Do you think you could get a seat from a newer jeep to put in yours?
Unread 07-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afguy
The forward facing seats are still attached at the bottom with the seat belt, but there is an extra buckle that keeps the top of the seat from tilting forward, but I agree. If they are just riveted in then I wont use them. I dont have an airbag disable.

Anyone have any opinions about the lapbelt from a truck?
If you want you can always drill a hole on tub, put in a big bolt with big washer. Just remember to rust proof the hole. They sell something like that, bolt, washer, and a bracket to hook into. When I had my car inspection they handed me one for free.

User CP > Options > Uncheck "Show Signatures"
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
afguy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE24Jeep
my son rides in the back of my 05 with the latches in the seat....he will go to a fwd facing seat soon.

Do you think you could get a seat from a newer jeep to put in yours?
Thats an idea, but it could be hard to find one in Hawaii plus I have the tan/green Sahara seats and would like to keep them matching.
Unread 07-09-2007, 04:12 AM   #7
FuzzyDolly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Can you use those tie down loops behind the seat by the tailgate door? (Not sure if they are actually tie down places, but they're made of metal and look sturdy.) Honestly, you're best bet is to go to a local firehall and have them install the seat. Alternatively, go to Babies R Us or AAA. They will give you accurate information. I also found this site... http://www.car-seat.org/index.php Please post up what the determination is. We have our first on the way in October, so this will be usefull information for me.

2005 Solar Yellow X
2" Skyjacker BB - 31X10.5\15 Cooper STT
www.wnyoffroad.org
FuzzyDolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #8
stoker
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I put in my own tie downs for the car seat using hardware similar in size to the seat belt hardware. I have no way to test it but I am confident that the buckles and snaps on the car seat would fail before my stuff. also bought a set of raingler nets to keep her in and keep other stuff out in the event of a wreck.
Unread 07-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
cmorganf64
1999 WJ 

I bought a new lap belt, longer grade 8 bolt and added the belt to the rear seat. There are now 2 shoulder belts and a lap belt.

My son is the only one that rides in the back (in a car seat). I use the new lap belt to hold the car seat in.

Im planning to add a looped tap to the mix so I can use the over the seat strap that is on the car seat (cant remember what its called).

Chris
cmorganf64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
vitapimp
Owner of REPOST™

1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.quadratec.com/products/24247_20X_PG.htm

i plan on doing the same for a car seat.
<>< Member #35
Red Jeep Club Member #337

What you are is God's gift to you...
What you make of yourself is your gift to God.
Make a change. Be different.
vitapimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 04:06 PM   #11
Ole Yeller
2010 JK Wrangler 

Check with the dealer. The manufacturer takes kids safety really seriously. My 16 year old daughter had a "automatic" seat belt go bad in her used car. It was like an $800 repair. The manufacturer picked it up with no questions asked. I think it was because of my daughter's age. Just a thought.
2000 TJ Sport
My previous Jeeps
1992 Wrangler S (Ole Yeller)
1985 Cherokee Pioneer
1989 Cherokee Laredo
1995 Cherokee Country
1996 Cherokee Country
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Ole Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
afguy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruneda13
http://www.quadratec.com/products/24247_20X_PG.htm

i plan on doing the same for a car seat.
My daughter is still in an infant seat with a base so that one wouldnt work because of the way seatbelt goes through the base. I need one with a shorter receiver end just like the ones the Jeep has now. You know how it just barely comes through the back seat.
Unread 07-10-2007, 12:42 AM   #13
RckyMtnTJ

I had this issue recently with our 1 year old. The option after lots of fighting with Daimler Chrysler Canada was a tether that hooks under the rear seat. Simply unscrew the foot of the rear seat and this tether gets placed there and the foot gets screwed back in. It works really good. It took a while for Daimler Chrysler to figure out what we were to use. They kept bringing in kits for 2000+ TJ's and other ones then telling us we couldn't transport a child in the back of a TJ. Finally they found the right part and it was really simple. If they hadn't found it we were going to drill a hole ourself and use the 2000+ tether with a big washer behind it.

HTH,

Jeff N
Unread 07-10-2007, 01:21 AM   #14
Tim70
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RckyMtnTJ
I had this issue recently with our 1 year old. The option after lots of fighting with Daimler Chrysler Canada was a tether that hooks under the rear seat. Simply unscrew the foot of the rear seat and this tether gets placed there and the foot gets screwed back in. It works really good. It took a while for Daimler Chrysler to figure out what we were to use. They kept bringing in kits for 2000+ TJ's and other ones then telling us we couldn't transport a child in the back of a TJ. Finally they found the right part and it was really simple. If they hadn't found it we were going to drill a hole ourself and use the 2000+ tether with a big washer behind it.

HTH,

Jeff N
If you can, post up the part number so that others can follow up with Jeep dealers on that stuff..

I'm lucky that my daughter is past the car seat crap...
Unread 07-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #15
RON310
2006 LJ Wrangler 

bumpity bizzump
RON310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.