Can't shift out of park. Electrical issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't shift out of park. Electrical issue?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 02-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
tpeks40

Can't shift out of park. Electrical issue?

99 TJ. Auto tranny. I can't seem to be able to shift out of park. I checked the shifter knob. Took off the tee handle and checked the white thing that everyone seems to have replaced with chopsticks, but that's not the problem. So far I've read enough to figure out I can turn the key to the Aux position, and then shift down into neutral, then start it up and shift between gears without any problems. It's when I put the shifter into Park with the engine running, or with the key turned to the On position that the button cannot be pressed in. I've heard of the brake solonoid, and it seems that there's a clicking going on somewhere in the steering column, if that makes any sense. I know that the brake pedal needs to be depressed prior to shifting out of park, and I'm wondering if this sensor has something to do with it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any ideas how to solve this issue.

tpeks40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.